Cuisine at home Forums
Italian Miestra recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Italian Miestra recipe (/showthread.php?tid=87765)

Italian Miestra recipe - chromeangel - 09-24-2009

Can anyone find the recipe for Italian Minestra in thier issues? Its one of my favorite recipes and for the life of me I cant find the issue with it in it... Main ingredients are orzo, tomatoes, spinach and italian sausage.. it's to die for! I would be oh so grateful if someone could post it to me.

Re: Italian Miestra recipe - Trixxee - 09-24-2009

Here you go. I'm not sure which issue it came from because I just copied and pasted this from an email I sent to a friend with the recipe included.

Sausage Minestra

For the Parmesan Croutons -
Toast in 2 T. Olive Oil, Toss with:
3 cups baguette, cubed
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated

For the Soup -
Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil, Add:
1 lb. link Italian sausage, sliced into 1" thick pieces
2 cups onion, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
2 t. dried Italian seasoning
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. red pepper flakes

Deglaze with: Stir in:
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomatoes seeded, diced
1/2 cup dry orzo pasta

Stir in: Serve Sou with:
3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
Parmesan Croutons

Toast baguette cubes in oil in a saute pan over medium high heat until crisp. Off heat, toss with Parmesan. Set aside.

Saute sausage in oil in a large pot over medium high heat until browned. Add the onion, garlic and seasonings; cook 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft.

Deglaze with wine and reduce until almost evaporated. Add broth, tomatoes and orzo; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked.

Stir in spinach until wilted. Serve soup with croutons on top.

Re: Italian Miestra recipe - esgunn - 09-24-2009

It is very good. I think it was in the first soups book, and maybe one other - a weeknights or a favoites or something. I know I have seen it more than once - but I searched the online index and it was never in a magazine issue.

Re: Italian Miestra recipe - labradors - 09-24-2009

Welcome to the forum, chromeangel. Enjoy the recipe, but do come back, again, to enjoy the rest of the great food, here, and especially the great people!