Cuisine at home Forums
Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) (/showthread.php?tid=87086)

Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - cjs - 09-05-2009

Why, oh why, didn't we do this years ago????? Ain't hindsight great?

[Image: GardenGoodies.jpg]

I'm going to have to get my kids up here more often with the amount of pickles I'm putting up - the plants are just going crazy!!

I do have one concern tho, this year I have had 2 jars break in the water bath (kerr and/or ball) - I've never had one break before in all the years I've been canning. Are they not making them as strong, maybe???? What a crappy mess!

But, the garden is so much fun.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - Gourmet_Mom - 09-05-2009

WHAT A HAUL! Ain't it fun?!?!? Those heirloom tomatoes are gorgeous! We've not had much luck with heirloom plants, so I think I'm going to order seeds next spring and do it myself.

The only thing we have left is peanuts. Time to plant some fall stuff!

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - cjs - 09-05-2009

AND MAKE THAT THREE!!! JARS THAT HAVE BROKEN! Just now when I removed the jars from the bath, two not one had broken, I am so mad. I'm going to call the Kerr hot line and scream at them for a while!

That's really odd! All my jars are old, so I haven't had that problem before. I bet it's because they're making them "cheaper" than before. What a bummer! Were you able to salvage the pickles?

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - esgunn - 09-05-2009

Jean, the only jars I have had break, are really really old jars. BUT, I don't use the water bath for very much. I'd be really ticked off. Especially when you get to doing your peaches.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - esgunn - 09-05-2009

Just a thought - do you have something in the bottom of your pan to keep the jars from sitting directly on the pan? I always use that metal rack thingy for canning in a water bath.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - DFen911 - 09-05-2009

Wow now that's some serious pickings! Next year I'm going my garden different and utilize the square foot gardening techniques.

I'm waiting to get some small established plants for the winter veggies and see how those go

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - cjs - 09-05-2009

yeah, Erin, I do have and use the rack. The two that broke were pints of pluots - which really ticked me off!! No way to salvage, the fruit an broken glass just floated around merrily for 20 minutes....

Bummer! I was hoping they just cracked!

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) - Old Bay - 09-05-2009

Wow, I love the Pacific NW--even the greenhouses work magic.