Cuisine at home Forums
New (for me) Method For Artichokes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: New (for me) Method For Artichokes (/showthread.php?tid=86831)

New (for me) Method For Artichokes - cjs - 08-30-2009

Oh my this was good!! Our artichokes are fairly small and very tender, can almost eat the entire thing. So, be warned I have not made this with the large ones found in the market.

Cut the choke in half lenghtwise, cut out the fiberous choke. Lay cut side down in a hot skillet with melted butter (I had clarified in the freezer, so used this) and saute for about 8 minutes, covered, on a just below med. flame until brown; turn over and add about 1/2-2/3 cup chicken stock and simmer, covered, for another 6-8 minutes and remove lid.

Let the stock cook completely away and turn the artichokes every so often. Just when the bottom of the skillet (not a nonstick one) begins to develop beautiful goop, remove from heat and eat the most wonderful flavored chokes I think I've ever had. After dinner I realized I hadn't added salt and pepper AT ALL! We had some toasted bread pieces rubbed with garlic that we ran across the bottom of the skillet and almost went looking for more bread to keep on mopping up the goop!

Sorry to use all these technical terms, but I'm sure you all get the picture.

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - cjs - 08-30-2009

Well now, 20 folks have looked at this and no comment - please don't tell me you all have been doing this all along and did not post it for us dummies!!!

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - labradors - 08-30-2009

Nope. In my case it's just that I don't like artichokes.

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - esgunn - 08-30-2009

I thought it was fantastic - but I only buy artichokes once or twice a year and only have access to the large supermaket ones. I am the only one in my house who likes them. I bet they are fantastic.

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - Gourmet_Mom - 08-30-2009

Sorry...chances are I won't get any small, tender, fresh artichokes when I DO get around to making them...LOL! I'm pretty sure the ones at the grocery store are not locally grown!

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - Mare749 - 08-30-2009

Quote:

Well now, 20 folks have looked at this and no comment - please don't tell me you all have been doing this all along and did not post it for us dummies!!!

No, not at all. I can't even imagine how heavenly it would be to have artichokes that small and fresh! I can taste them from here. Wonder if we can grow them in our climate?

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - Lorraine - 08-31-2009

Jean, that method sounds very much like my BIL's old aunties in Sicily make them. I can only get the huge ones here, and at $4.00 each, haven't bought any yet. Haven't had fresh articholes, good or bad, in ages.

Re: New (for me) Method For Artichokes - cjs - 08-31-2009

Don't I feel better now? I was thinking you all knew this.