Cuisine at home Forums
Dark Baking Pans - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dark Baking Pans (/showthread.php?tid=80895)

Dark Baking Pans - Lorraine - 04-24-2009

I made a recipe yeaterday that I have made for years with no problems. I usually make it in a light coloured springform pan. Yesterday, (to make it look pretty), I used one of his dark coloured tart pans. I cooked it at the same temperature, for less time than normal, but it came out much darker (and a tad overcooked) than I wanted. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that dark coloured pans will affect the baking time / temperature. Is this true, and if so, how much do you compensate for it? As it is for a raffle, I'm thinking I may have to make another one today. Thanks!

Re: Dark Baking Pans - cjs - 04-24-2009

That is true, Lorraine, but I sure don't know the rule of thumb for allowing for the dark pan. Other than testing each recipe sooner. Hope someone else has more info for you.

Re: Dark Baking Pans - foodfiend - 04-24-2009

I have no specific formula either, but I found that I have to place a note to myself in each of my dark pans that, in no uncertain terms, declares "DARK PANS BAKE FASTER!!!!". Otherwise, I never remember until it's too late...

The dark pans absorb heat faster, light pans reflect. I just cannot seem to remember that while I am baking!

Re: Dark Baking Pans - pjcooks - 04-24-2009

Lorraine, I always lower the oven temp by 25 degrees when using dark pans. Start checking for doneness sooner. (Is that a word? Spellcheck doesn't think so)

Hope this helps.

PJ

Re: Dark Baking Pans - Lorraine - 04-24-2009

Thanks, everyone. I cooked it at 350 for about 30 minutes, and it was done. We'll glaze it tomnorrow when we get there. Thanks again, now I know. ;smile:

Re: Dark Baking Pans - Roxanne 21 - 04-25-2009

I would suggest that you just go back to your light pans---I have noticed recipes (including the mega-muffin recipes at C@H)) state that the light pans are much better for keeping a more accurate timing. The science of it?--- I have not researched this but I think this would be an interesting education in dark vs.light baking pans.