Cuisine at home Forums
Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review (/showthread.php?tid=80353)

Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - cjs - 04-15-2009

Thanks Denise, this was a lot of fun - Roy says thank you too and he gave it a 9+!

We started out with Cheese Straws that I made for Saturday's wine/cheese festival and a great bottle of wine - that was half gone by dinner..

The weather was beautiful so I completely scrapped the idea of a roasted pork dish with a hot papaya sauce and went for the grilled goodies instead.

Grilled Brined Pork with Papaya-Cucumber Salsa & Grilled New Potatoes
[Image: PorkwPapayacucsalsa.jpg]

The Salsa was delicious -
1 papaya, peeled, seeded & chopped
1 poblano, roasted, seeded & chopped
~1/3 of a large red onion, chopped
2 T. lime juice
1 T. cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. sugar

Mix all and let set a couple hours. I'll do this again.

and dessert was Rhubarb Bars
[Image: rhubarbbars.jpg]
Not real impressed with this - it was a recipe I found somewhere. There was way too much crust and I hesitated adding orange zest to it, but I went with the recipe and wish I hadn't - orange came thru more than the rhubarb,so that recipe is in the trash.

This was fun and I hope someone else surprises us with a list of goodies to do this again.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - Mare749 - 04-15-2009

Very nice meal, Jean. I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Ron and the girls are going to a basketball game tonight (Go Cavs!)so can't do it tonight. Have my ideas tho!

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - DFen911 - 04-15-2009

That looks fantastic!!! I am so using your salsa recipe. Aren't grilled potatoes just the best. I end up eating a serving long before they make it back into the house. Haha

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - Harborwitch - 04-15-2009

Doing ours tonight. Last night we were still stuffed from lunch, and after breaking down the turkey and cleaning up the kitchen I was too tired to cook.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - Gourmet_Mom - 04-15-2009

I should be doing mine tomorrow as well. I need to make a trip to town and hope they have the papaya. I KNOW I won't be using the rhubarb, unless they got some in stock since I was there the other day.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - Mare749 - 04-15-2009

I got my supplies today. Be prepared for the price of rhubarb, Daphne. Mine was $4.99 lb. Is it that hard to grow???

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - cjs - 04-15-2009

"Is it that hard to grow??? " NO! and it's like horseradish, just keeps multiplying and we have to separate plants.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - iBcookin - 04-16-2009

Yup, we planted rhubarb two weekends ago. Next . . . raspberries! The rhubarb isn't quite ready around here yet, maybe another week. MMMM strawberry/rhubarb pie.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - cjs - 04-16-2009

Linda, last summer I tried rhubarb and raspberry pie and we liked it better than the rhubarb/strawberry. Great flavor.

Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review - cjs - 04-16-2009

DENISE!! Where's your Mystery Bag creation?????????