Cuisine at home Forums
Fresh Horseradish? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Fresh Horseradish? (/showthread.php?tid=80119)

Fresh Horseradish? - iBcookin - 04-11-2009

Well, theoretically it is spring and the snow we had on Tuesday and Wednesday has melted, so I have resumed my search for fresh horseradish to dig. My father-in-law had a secret patch that he would visit every year and bring some for us to grind, but the farmer's spraying with roundup appears to have done it in. We have been planting some for the last few years and will, as a last resort, use some of our roots, I just wanted to let them get better established.

My question is, does anyone know if I dig the root, cut off the top and stick it back in the ground, will it start to root again? I am probably going to try this, I just wanted to know if it was going to be a waste of time and I should just buy some more roots from Agway.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - cjs - 04-11-2009

We used to grow it all the time and I sure don't think it would be a waste of your time. It multiplies so quickly and when you dig it up, you never get all of the roots and it just takes off again.

Then we ground it up in the blender and you're all set. Just remember when it's in the blender, it looks like a milkshake, so keep the kids away...just ask madmax sometime.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - chef_Tab - 04-11-2009

I am sure the look on her face would be great for America's Funniest Home Videos!

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - Old Bay - 04-11-2009

What is the draw of fresh horseradish? We don't grow it down here (I don't think we can). The only time I had it was in Seattle at an oyster bar, and maybe theirs was not that fresh, but I was unimpressed. Tell me where and when I should try it again--I love the flavor!! We eat prepared or creamed, refrigerated, and love it!

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - Gourmet_Mom - 04-11-2009

I agree, Bill. I've never had fresh other than what you buy at the store. I would like to know the advantages and if it would grow here as well.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - Harborwitch - 04-11-2009

I adore fresh horseradish! Grated in mashed potatoes, crusted on lamb, stirred into beef gravy (jarred will work in a pinch), all kinds of wonderful things.

I've got a hunk in the fridge - maybe I'll have Bob stick it in the ground.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - labradors - 04-11-2009

Quote:

Horse sense is just stable thinking.

Here's another one you may wish to add to your collection: "Horse sense is something a horse has which prevents it from betting on people."

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - Old Bay - 04-11-2009

Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Horse sense is just stable thinking.

Here's another one you may wish to add to your collection: "Horse sense is something a horse has which prevents it from betting on people."

[/blockquote]

What does horse sense, stable thinking, or betting on people have to do do with horseradish!?? You've lost me this time Labs.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - labradors - 04-12-2009

Well, it IS HORSEradish. Actually, I was just commenting on Sharon's signature line.

Re: Fresh Horseradish? - iBcookin - 04-12-2009

Well to answer Bill, it is incredibly strong and sinus clearing. Years ago I did my first batch in my food processor in the kitchen and could barely breath when I took the lid off. After that incident I lug the processor outside and grind away on the porch steps.

Might just have to dig one of the babies in my garden up today to go with the Easter ham. I'll just stick the top back in and see what happens.

And Sharon, are you going to have any room left in that yard at the rate you are planting things??