Cuisine at home Forums
I love living here! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: I love living here! (/showthread.php?tid=79737)

I love living here! - Harborwitch - 04-03-2009

We stopped at a little fruit stand/antique store/tourist trap to day. Billy did you stop at the Barn?

We bought some blood oranges, another orange with bumply skin, some apples, a set of adorable magnets for the fridge, and a beautiful beautiful apricot pie(ready to bake). As we were checking out I asked if they were going to have rhubarb available - yup @ 3.00 a bunch, and her husband went out and picked it for us while we waited!! We also got some free range brown eggs for 4.20 for 20 eggs - each weighing 2.5 oz! Life is beautiful out here!

Now - pineapple crisp tonight; and then I have to make some chocolate ice cream for the apricot pie! Yummmmmmmm.

Re: I love living here! - DFen911 - 04-03-2009

Doh I am so jealous!! We used to have such wonderful farmers markets here, but in the last 5 years we've lost over 95% of our farm land to industrial buildings. It's just sickening because they keep building them and they all sit vacant. What a waste.

Re: I love living here! - Mare749 - 04-03-2009

Lucky you! Sounds like that will be your new favorite place to shop! What will you make with the rhubarb?

Re: I love living here! - Gourmet_Mom - 04-03-2009

If I had to guess....jalapeno rhubarb jam maybe with some strawberries if they come off in time? LOL!

I am determined to experiment with rhubarb this season. They're on the shelf...just to hang on one more week before I can play over Easter break.

Re: I love living here! - farnfam - 04-03-2009

Hmmm, I'm remembering a really good rhubarb meringue pie on a crust with oatmeal or something. I've got to find that recipe. The rhubarb was mixed with strawberry jello, for the filling. It's around here somewhere.

Re: I love living here! - cjs - 04-04-2009

and Daphne, rhubarb is in the mystery bag ingredients...

Re: I love living here! - Harborwitch - 04-04-2009

Yup. My last (known) dream before waking up involved in making pineapple and rhubarb crisp. I was thinking strawberry rhubarb pie, or rhubarb raspberry jalapeno jelly. So many recipes so little time.

Re: I love living here! - cjs - 04-04-2009

...and then don't forget -
"Rhubarb, Bacon & Onion Compote - Sharon"

We love this and so do my customers!

Re: I love living here! - Harborwitch - 04-04-2009

Oh my yes! Yummmmmmmmy - especially with our wonderful maple pepper bacon smoked over applewood and pecan! Yum.

Re: I love living here! - Gourmet_Mom - 04-04-2009

I just checked at the store...no rhubarb. UH OH!