Cuisine at home Forums
Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon (/showthread.php?tid=75302)

Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - cjs - 02-01-2009

Not a healthy dish be any means, but oh my, is this ever a wonderful flavored pasta!
[Image: BSproutsOrrecchiette.jpg]

Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

1/2 cup hazelnuts (2 ounces)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
Salt
1 pound Brussels sprouts -- halved or quartered if large
3/4 pound orecchiette pasta
3 slices thick-cut bacon -- cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let the nuts cool, then coarsely chop them.

In a small saucepan, boil the chicken stock until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes; keep warm.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the Brussels sprouts and pat them dry. Return the water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook until al dente, 12 to 15 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Add the butter to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned and nutty, about 3 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the orecchiette along with the reduced chicken stock and simmer, stirring, until the sauce is slightly absorbed, about 2 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano cheese, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large serving bowl. Garnish with the bacon and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and serve.

The smokiness of the bacon and the earthiness of the nuts in this pasta dish suggest a medium-bodied, Italian-style Sangiovese, such as the 1999 Flora Springs or the 1999 Altamura.

Description:
"This hearty pasta dish is truly perfect in autumn, when Brussels sprouts are at their peak of flavor"

----

And leftovers will be Jacques Pepin's Pasta with fried eggs and cheese - then it's back to healthier food.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - Gourmet_Mom - 02-01-2009

And my crowd says they don't like them. I don't get it...they love steamed cabbage.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - labradors - 02-01-2009

Quote:

Description:
"This hearty pasta dish is truly perfect in autumn, when Brussels sprouts are at their peak of flavor"

This would be a truly wonderful dish with broccoli instead of Brussels sprouts.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - Mare749 - 02-01-2009

Oh my, that dish looks amazing. We love brussel sprouts and have them at least once a week. Thanks for posting.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - Gourmet_Mom - 02-01-2009

Thanks for the idea Labs! It makes sense and my crowd will love that!

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - BarbaraS - 02-01-2009

I haven't had brussel sprouts since I wasa a kid and my father made me sit at the table until I finished them.

I maaaaay have to try them again. Smothered with bacon and butter, they may have some taste to them, after all.

Barbara

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - luvnit - 02-01-2009

That looks amazing Jean! I am going to make this. Did you use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts?

Did you mix two pastas together? I think I see some campanelle.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - cjs - 02-01-2009

Good eye, Laura - I couldn't find Orecchiette here so subbed campanelle and medium shells.

I used fresh b. sprouts. But don't see why fozen wouldn't work if that's what you have.

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - luvnit - 02-01-2009

I am going to make this sometime VERY soon.

I love brussel sprouts. I am not sure if they are in season now. I was wondering about fresh or frozen just because of the cooking times, but I bet I could wing it and figure it out.

Good job Jean. Looks picture perfect! (Hey! Where did the picture go?)

Re: Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon - cjs - 02-02-2009

Ooops, just learned something - when I delete from Photobucket, I guess it deletes it from here also. Well, guess I won't do that again.