Cuisine at home Forums
Cooking Wine Question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cooking Wine Question (/showthread.php?tid=74957)

Cooking Wine Question - esgunn - 01-27-2009

I am making the chicken Saltimbuca (I know i didn't spell that right) for dinner. It is from Weeknights II.

It calls for Marsala - I don't have any. I have Brandy, sherry, Madiera, chardoney, or Savag/Merlot. Which would you suggest I sub with? Or combination?

I am off to take the kids to gymnastics, but will check back tonight just before making dinner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Cooking Wine Question - BarbaraS - 01-27-2009

Good Question!!

Can anyone suggest a Port to make Port/wine reduction sauces with? I suck at making sauces and want to try to improve in this area.

Barbara

Re: Cooking Wine Question - farnfam - 01-27-2009

Erin, I think I sub sherry for the marsala when necessary.

Re: Cooking Wine Question - Trixxee - 01-27-2009

Another vote for sherry. I made C@H's ravioli/chicken marsala dish the other day and they said subbing sherry would not hurt the recipe.

Re: Cooking Wine Question - labradors - 01-27-2009

Even being the Sherry lover that I am, I would use Madeira in this case. It's much more similar to Marsala than Sherry is.

Re: Cooking Wine Question - Gourmet_Mom - 01-27-2009

I fourth or fifth the sherry. Barbara...Jean always suggests Noilly Prait for the port, but I have not found it. I have been using what I can find and have been satisfied with it.

Quote:

I fourth or fifth the sherry. Barbara...Jean always suggests Noilly Prait for the port, but I have not found it. I have been using what I can find and have been satisfied with it.

Okay!!

But sweet, medium sweet, or dry Sherry??

Barbara

Re: Cooking Wine Question - Old Bay - 01-27-2009

Madeira, maderia, maderia, my dear!!(In place of Marsala)

Waaaaaaahh!!!

I am so challenged about sauces!!

Barbara

Re: Cooking Wine Question - Gourmet_Mom - 01-27-2009

I will defer to the wine expert on the Marsala sub...I've never had Madeira, so didn't know.

Barbara...I was talking to Erin with the Sherry comment. I don't know what I would sub for port...dry vermouth if I had to, but if you don't need it tonight, I'd get some port. I now keep a bottle in the pantry all the time. If I don't have anything else, I'll add some port to a sauce.

I keep in my pantry the following....dry and sweet vermouth, dry and sweet sherry, dry and sweet port, and marsala...I guess I need to add Madeira. I also try to keep a bottle of white and red wine, but somehow, it keeps getting gone. I can't imagine why?