Cuisine at home Forums
Wok Reviews? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Wok Reviews? (/showthread.php?tid=73810)

Wok Reviews? - mcd1982 - 01-11-2009

I've recently gotten into Asian cooking and it's far past time I get myself a Wok. Is there an issue of C@H that reviews Woks? Thanks!

Re: Wok Reviews? - mjkcooking - 01-12-2009

Welcome to our forum,

I would go to some of your cooking sites on Chinese they should offer
different types of wok info, or do a google search on Wok Comparisons

I have a Carbon Steel wok with rounded bottom - had it for years and
really like it on my gas stove.

Hope this has helpedsome.

Marye

Re: Wok Reviews? - labradors - 01-12-2009

Marye has the right idea: a carbon-steel wok is the right way to go.

Don't waste your time or money on "woks" that are:
  • Non stick (stainless steel is okay, as is cast iron with no enamel, but carbon steel is better, and non stick is a big no-no)
  • Plug in (that would be an electric skillet, not a wok)
  • Flat bottom (if you must use it on an electric stove, just get the adapter ring instead of crippling the critically distinctive feature that makes a wok a wok)
The 16-inch, carbon-steel wok that I use only cost $9.95 at a restaurant supply store, and is much better than the fancy-schmancy ones that sell for $30-$90 at places like Williams-Sonoma, Le Creuset, et al.

Re: Wok Reviews? - bbally - 01-12-2009

Quote:

I've recently gotten into Asian cooking and it's far past time I get myself a Wok. Is there an issue of [Email]C@H[/Email] that reviews Woks? Thanks!

Never saw an issue covering these things.

I did pretty extensive research for cooking.com and ended up purchasing a few of These Woks. Not sold at cooking.com anymore, but still sold at the link I posted.

The kids are in college now and carbon steel woks cook healthy food fast for them.

Re: Wok Reviews? - cjs - 01-12-2009

MCD, a long time ago I found this somewhere - instructions for caring for your wok. I found it very helpful!

-------
To Season:
Wash the wok in hot water with a small amount of liquid detergent and a scrubber (such as a stainless steel sponge or pad).

If needed, scrub the exterior of the wok with the scrubber and an abrasive cleanser. Do not use the abrasive cleanser on the inside of the wok.

Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.

Place the wok on high heat.

Move the wok, turning it and tilting it up to the rim and back, until the metal turns a blueish-yellowish color.

Remove the wok from the stove element. Turn the heat down to medium-low.

Add a thin film of oil (about 1 ½ teaspoons) over the entire inside surface of the wok. There are several ways to do this. One is to use a paper towel to rub the oil over the surface.

You may want to use tongs to hold the paper towels. Another way is to use a basting brush for barbecues or any other heat-proof brush to brush on the oil.

Heat the wok on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.

Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black residue on the towel.

Repeat steps 7 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.

Tips:

Flat bottomed woks are better for electric ranges. Round bottomed woks can reflect heat back on the heating element, damaging it.

It is important to thoroughly clean the wok to remove the manufacturer's protective coating.

It is better not to purchase a non-stick carbon steel wok, as the high heats required for Chinese cooking may damage the non-stick coating.

If you do purchase a non-stick wok, follow the seasoning and cleaning instructions carefully, or you may damage the coating.

---- How to clean a wok -

Rinse the wok in hot water.

Gently lift off or scrub away food particles with a nonmetallic scrubber.

Rinse the wok.

Dry the interior and exterior of the wok with paper towels.

To finish drying, place the wok over medium to medium-high heat.

Wipe the inside of the wok with a small amount of vegetable oil. This helps prevent rusting. (Note: this step may not be necessary if your wok is properly seasoned and gets a lot of use.

Store until ready to use again.

Tips:

Never scrub a carbon steel wok with an abrasive cleanser, as this can damage the seasoned surface.

Do not put the wok in the dishwasher.

If rust appears or the wok is accidentally cleaned in the dishwasher, simply re-season it, being careful to remove all the rust.

Re: Wok Reviews? - farnfam - 01-12-2009

One other thing you might consider is the single type wood handle (like a fry pan), I like that so much better than my old double handle one.