Cuisine at home Forums
Fruit Salad - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Fruit Salad (/showthread.php?tid=73671)

Fruit Salad - esgunn - 01-10-2009

I have to take a fruit salad to a gathering. I am looking for something good/different to do with it and keep the fruit from browning.

How do you all prepare your fruit salads and do you have a favorite dressing you put on it, or just plain/fuit juice?

Pretty basic question, but sometimes you just need to jazz it up a little.

Re: Fruit Salad - Gourmet_Mom - 01-10-2009

I don't really care much for the ones with dressing. My favorite is pretty basic. Peel and remove the membrane from one red grapefruit and 2 or 3 oranges. (Removing the membrane is a hassle, but well worth it.) Remove the membrane over your bowl to catch any juices. You can break up any large segments, but usually when you stir it all up gently, the large ones will fall apart anyway. Peel and dice 2 apples and add to the bowl. The fruit juices will keep the apples from turning. Halve a couple handfuls of red or green seedless grapes. Toss together and allow to chill and flavors to marry. Chopped nuts of your choice can be added before serving. I don't usually add the nuts, but it does add another texture to the mix. I could eat a whole bowl by myself...and have...LOL! It would be easy to double this up for a crowd.

Like I said, this is a very basic mix, but I just love the flavor of good fruit...why cover it up?

Re: Fruit Salad - cjs - 01-10-2009

For catering when I would offer a fruit platter, Erin, I used mostly fruits that would hold up - strawberries, melons, grapes, kiwis, pears, plums, etc. I would prep them and store in separate baggies until ready to plate and serve.

What kind of dressing are you using? If it's fruit based, a nice topping for any fruit salad or platter is shredded Parmesan cheese and a light sprinkling of black pepper. does that help any?

A couple of dressing ideas -

Toss strawberry jelly with half as much balsamic vinegar or fruit juice to make a light and piquant salad dressing.
DRIZZLE THE MIXTURE OVER FRESH FRUIT

Poppy seed dresssing:
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
2 teaspoons Salt
2/3 cup White Vinegar
3 TBSP Grated Onion and Juice
2 cups Canola Oil
3 TBSP Poppy Seeds

Re: Fruit Salad - Old Bay - 01-10-2009

I've never been a real fan of kiwi, but always included it in my fruit salad for color--last time I sliced a kiwi my fingers broke out in a rash and it took awhile to go away. Anyone else develope an allergy to kiwi? At least now I have an excuse not to use them.

I sprinkle my salad with ascorbic acid (vitamin C, Fruitfresh) to keep it from browning.

Re: Fruit Salad - esgunn - 01-11-2009

Thank you Jean, Bill and Daphne. Jean, I really will try that strawberry Jelly and Vinegar/fruit juice. THat sounds great. Maybe with a little fresh mint? I love mint in my fruit salads. My mom and sister always made the poppy seed one. It is good.

Daphne I have always been of the mind to just dress with fruit juice. Why mess with the fruit and add more calories. But sometimes a little different flavor especially with winter fruit, is good. I always need to appeal to small children too! I usually use apples, pears, grapes, canned mandarin oranges, bananas (sometimes) and strawberries if I can get them.

Bill - weird about the Kiwi. I enjoy them. My husbands grandparent had a simmilar reaction to the peel of Mango - or was it guava? When I pick strawberries my arms break out in a rash - green beens too. I have no idea why - it is from my bare arms brusing on the leaves.

This is the dressing I was going to try. My Mother in Law makes it and has gotten good comments. I haven't tried it yet.

FRUIT SALAD DRESSING

1 egg, beaten
2 Tbs flour
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon rind
1/2 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients and stir over low heat, cooking until thickened. Cool. Pour over fruit.

Re: Fruit Salad - cjs - 01-12-2009

Your dressing sounds good, Erin. Mentioning having children around and fruit salads/platters - have you ever made the marshmallow/cream cheese dip to go with?

Kids and adults can't get enough of it - it's just wonderful.
8 oz. cream cheese
jar of marshmallow crème

Re: Fruit Salad - Gourmet_Mom - 01-12-2009

And the fruit pizza on a sugar cookie covered with cream cheese mixed with powdered sugar. My kids used to LOVE that stuff!

Re: Fruit Salad - farnfam - 01-12-2009

Hope it's not to late to make a suggestion, or maybe for another time. We did one for Christmas brunch that was wicked simple, tasty too, not a drop left.
Sliced apples and bananas toss lightly with some sugar and tsp of lemon juice (to keep from darkening) add green or red grapes. Genly fold in vanilla yogurt, I guess about a cup and topped with chopped walnuts and sugar.

Re: Fruit Salad - bjcotton - 01-12-2009

"Toss strawberry jelly with half as much balsamic vinegar or fruit juice to make a light and piquant salad dressing.
DRIZZLE THE MIXTURE OVER FRESH FRUIT" Jean, I used the same basic recipe except I used red currant jelly and mixed with about half of the fruit juice. If I wasn't using citrus I would add some of the fruitfresh stuff.