Cuisine at home Forums
Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) (/showthread.php?tid=73383)

Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - BobJ1105 - 01-07-2009

My second try at French Baggett was a winner. I was disappointed the first try because the starter wasn't as I expected.( gave up) (second try) I completed the receipt and was happy with the results. I was a little nervous because there was no one along side me to say " hey, that's they way it should look" or "the feel of the dough is right" I survived and the bread was great.

BobJ1105

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - foodfiend - 01-07-2009

If at first you don't succeed.... right??? Congrats on a successful baguette, and on not giving up after the first time.

Really, there are no failures with baking bread because you can always make something from the result. I buy yeast in 2-pound packages, keep it in the freezer, and try to remember to toss it after the expiration date. Last month, I forgot and the ciabatta I made was flatter than even a ciabatta should be! But, split in half, it made a couple of wonderful pannis....

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - HomeCulinarian - 01-07-2009

BobJ - congrats on your successes and your encouragement. We're planning to become baguette bakers learning by trial and error. I agree that it is always better to have a teacher or coach show the way.

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - farnfam - 01-07-2009

Bobj, what HC says is true. All bread bakers got there from trial and error. The cool thing is now you have this experience to build on. You will begin to know what looks and feels right as compared to these two tries.
Atta boy, Bobj, you done good

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - cjs - 01-07-2009

Good Job!!

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - Roxanne 21 - 01-07-2009

WAY TO GO, BOB!!! Patience and time is very important but nothing beats experience. Keep working at it and soon you will have everybody pounding down the doors to your bakery Don't you just love the aromas with baking your very own bread?

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - Gourmet_Mom - 01-07-2009

I know what you mean about needing someone there to say.... It would have been so much more relaxing! I am so glad you didn't give up! Good Job!

Trial and error is what it's all about. Be sure to take notes so you can continue to improve your results and be more consistent. One thing to remember, some days, bread baking is a real trial. I haven't figured it all out yet, but moisture and temp can REALLY affect your dough. So pay close attention to the "feel" and the rise. You can use the same amounts of ingredients one day, but on another, you may not get the same "feel" with the same amounts. The times you are used to for a rise one day, won't necessarily work on another.

Good luck and have fun! I love baking bread. It's so rewarding and a challenge every time you make it.

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - tammylp - 01-10-2009

I missed this thread and started a new one; but I had a similar problem. Feb '09 issue - Poolish/bread - the starter I am making is as thick as dough; not "lumpy pancake batter" as stated in the recipe.

Re: Poolish starter(Feb. 09 pp. 19) - Gourmet_Mom - 01-10-2009

I wasn't sure which post to respond to....As I stated in another thread about this recipe, the picture in the magazine looks like what my poolish looks like after fermentation...not after mixing together. As you can see, Bob was successful on the second try, just going with the recipe as written. Let it go, and I bet you'll be surprised.

Good luck and Welcome to the board! I hope you'll let us know how it turns out...good or bad. We all learn that way.