Cuisine at home Forums
Onion Jam for Burgers - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Onion Jam for Burgers (/showthread.php?tid=73000)

Onion Jam for Burgers - cjs - 01-02-2009

This is really tasty - and you bleu cheese fans will really love the combination. Roy was in heaven.

Onion Jam for Burgers

2 T. olive oil
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
Salt
1 cup dry red wine
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. honey
1 thyme sprig
Pepper

Cook onion over mod. low heat in oil with salt until limp.
Add wine, vinegar, honey, thyme & simmer until liquid has evaporated, ~15 min. Season with s&p.
Top burgers with Stilton while still on grill to slightly melt. Top with the onion jam.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Trixxee - 01-02-2009

That sounds good and easy. Marking this one.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Mare749 - 01-02-2009

Thanks Jean, I made something similar a while back and we loved it. Will definately be trying this one.

Maryann

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Gourmet_Mom - 01-02-2009

Me too Maryann. As a matter of fact, we were supposed to have that one last night with the collards and forgot until William started chopping the pork. Dinner was really good though. I have lots left, so I'll probably make this one to go with them. That and the crispy cornbread I couldn't make due to buggy meal.

Thanks Jean!

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Old Bay - 01-02-2009

Jean, we eat at a place for lunch where we get a steak salad or sandwich and they serve a Maui onion salsa with it. It is roughly pureed and a golden color--delicious!! This sounds similar--any thoughts on a salsa, maybe use a sweet onion and delete the honey? ---this might work.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - cjs - 01-02-2009

I would think so - just caramelizing onions makes them so sweet. I love onions like this on sandwiches.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Roxanne 21 - 01-02-2009

Another little goodie to add to the "list" --this sounds really tasty.....Thanx, Jean

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Trixxee - 01-08-2009

Oooh- made this tonight to top burgers with gorgonzola. Very, very tasty! I only had about 3/4 cup of an open bottle of red wine but that was fine.

Thank you for sharing. The onions combined with the cheese really worked well.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - chef_Tab - 01-08-2009

I made something similar once with balsamic and it was served on salmon. I lost the recipe so I am glad you brought this up.

Re: Onion Jam for Burgers - Harborwitch - 01-08-2009

Sounds good, and the grocery has gorgonzola on sale. Hmmmm.