Cuisine at home Forums
getting recipes into Mastercook - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: getting recipes into Mastercook (/showthread.php?tid=72898)

getting recipes into Mastercook - chef_Tab - 01-01-2009

I got Mastercook for Christmas and just started to play with it. Is there a way to import Word documents into a cookbook without a lot of copying and pasting?

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - HomeCulinarian - 01-01-2009

I think you're stuck with copying and pasting. There is the import assistant that can guess pretty well where each section goes in MC.

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - chef_Tab - 01-01-2009

Have you used the import assistant? It seems it will only import from the web, not my word documents.

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - cjs - 01-01-2009

Read this over and see if it makes sense to you Theresa - it's what I do. "without a lot of copying and pasting?" - uhhhh, it's copying and pasting, but not 'a lot of'

-----

\/ <---- this will stand for ‘click on’

Open M.C. and \/ ‘cookbooks’

\/ file
\/ New Cookbook – set up new cookbook per instructions, then when you’re ready to import from word, in your word document (that you have in recipe form and this is important –
Recipe name
1 line space
Recipe ingredients (no line breaks in this list)
1 line space
Recipe directions (in this section you can break up paragraphs and add whatever notes you want)

when the above is all set to go in your word program – hit control button and ‘A’ at the same time to ‘select all.’
Right \/ and select copy.

Go to your mastercook cookbook you want to import the recipe to and…

Right \/ envelope icon which is the “import/export/email” and \/ on ‘import assistant’ (this icon is on the right 2nd from the bottom)

A little box will show up – paste your recipe in it and
\/ ‘auto-fill’

That’s it. At least that’s how I do it – the computer whizzes around here will probably come up with better language and/or skills, but at least I get my recipes in there.

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - iBcookin - 01-01-2009

I'm curious about this as well. I haven't tried importing from the word document that I had created for all those terrific recipes you guys have shared over the last six months.

However, I have been laboriously trying to type in my stack of miscellaneous recipes that I have accumulated over the years. I am hoping that this is worth it. So far, it just seems kind of tedious. I am still not convinced that this is the best way for me to store my recipes, since I don't have a laptop and will have to print out a recipe every time I want to use it. But at least I can have the recipes in one spot and can search for one when I need it.

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that the hard drive doesn't crash! I am so NOT of this techie generation!

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - chef_Tab - 01-01-2009

Jean, thanks so much! I have been madly putting all of my recipes into word files for the last several months in hopes of receiving Mastercook for Christmas. My ASSumption was that I could just hit a button and they would "float" over to Mastercook. Silly me. Your method seems much easier than copying and pasting each line item. I will give it a whirl.

Jean, I know I have told you before, but you are a genius!

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - cjs - 01-01-2009

genius? no, just darn old.

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - Gourmet_Mom - 01-01-2009

Um....I don't put a line between the title and the ingredients. Other than that, the directions are just how I do it. It takes a while, but I have found it well worth the effort. I imported a couple hundred just like that. Another important note, Word has a habit of making 1/2 and other fractions into a single key(?) when you hit the space bar after. Just change that by backspacing over it and retyping it without hitting the space bar after.

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - pjcooks - 01-01-2009

I've had MC for over a year now and just can't find the time to learn it-every now and then I check out a recipe they have but have gone no further.

Billy, I need a tutorial, are you available for hire?

PJ

Re: getting recipes into Mastercook - Roxanne 21 - 01-02-2009

PJ---I was thinking the same thing----WHERE IS BILLY?????

He is the MASTER of this program...I'm surprised he didn't jump right into the deep end on this one

Maybe he is busy with his new toy....