Cuisine at home Forums
Potato Question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Potato Question (/showthread.php?tid=72854)

Potato Question - Gourmet_Mom - 12-31-2008

Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would allow me to mix this ahead to save time later this evening? I don't want my potatoes to get dark.

2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and grated
2 medium zucchini -- grated
1/2 onion -- grated
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- grated, plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon rosemary -- fresh chopped; plus sprig for garnish
2 egg whites -- lightly beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Re: Potato Question - pjcooks - 12-31-2008

Are you making potato pancakes, Daphne? Not only would I prep my ingredients now, I'd shape them-they'll be fried, right? I'd even coat them with the panko, if that was the plan, and refrigerate. Course, I could be totally off track here, just taking a guess! Happy 2009

PJ

Re: Potato Question - Roxanne 21 - 12-31-2008

I find that the potatoes do turn brown unless soaked and then rinsed in cold water...otherwise I would continue as PJ mentioned.....sounds like a great side, Daphne.

Re: Potato Question - Gourmet_Mom - 12-31-2008

They are potato pancakes, but not made with cooked potatoes. The raw potatoes, zucchini, and onion are grated and mixed with the other ingredients and fried, then baked.

Re: Potato Question - Lorraine - 12-31-2008

I think if you made them up ahead of time they would tuen brown. I think you can however, grate them and keep them in cold water until you need them. Then drain well in a cotton tea towel and continue with the recipe. Looks like a nice recipe.

Re: Potato Question - Gourmet_Mom - 12-31-2008

Thanks Lorraine. I think I'm going to do that. I had considered that, but was worried about them getting too watery. I can always use the ricer to get the water out. I just think grating everything would be a lot of hassle to have to do at the last minute. I've got the cream cheese for the Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese to serve with this softening now, so I think I'll be off to do my grating and get my mise en place.

Re: Potato Question - pjcooks - 01-01-2009

How did they come out, Daphne? Looking at this again, I would grate them in my food processor right before, if you were concerned about the potatoes browning. When I think about the steps, grate, soak, drain, press-I guess I would just grate right before. Eliminating soak, drain and press.

Hey, nothing like a little hindsight! Happy to help you out after the fact.

PJ

Re: Potato Question - Gourmet_Mom - 01-01-2009

PJ, it worked fine. I grated early in the day...stored them separately...water in the potatoes. They had to be pressed before cooking regardless, so that really wasn't an extra step. They were VERY good! I love new side dishes and this one is great. It's not very time consuming using the food processor and a lot more healthy than just plain potatoes. Well, maybe not with the cream cheese and smoked salmon...but I did use reduced fat cream cheese. They are good without the cream cheese topping, so I guess you could serve them that way, too.