Cuisine at home Forums
Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) (/showthread.php?tid=70163)

Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) - Old Bay - 11-20-2008

This from Dean Fearing--very southwestern--we had it last year and will again for the forseeable future--delicious!!
Vegi Oil for frying
Fourteen 6-inch corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/4 inch strips
6 cups crumbled skillet cornbread or your own.
2 T ev olive oil, plus more for the baking dish.
1 large onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large jalepeno (seeded or not), minced
1 T minced cilantro
2 t finely chopped fresh sage
2 t chopped fresh thyme
2 t chili powder
1 Qt Tortilla Broth (recipe follows)
Kosher salt

1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350. Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips, stirring until crisp and golden--3 min or so. Using a slotted spoon, trans to paper towels and drain. Put strips in a bowl and add crumbled cornbread.
2. In a large deep skillet, heat the 2 T olive oil. Add onion and celery -cook over mod heat stirring, abt 6 min, until softened. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrent, about 1 min. Stir in cilantro, sage, thyme and chili powde and cook until chili is fragrent, about 1 min.
3. Add tortilla broth to skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Pour the mixture over the tortilla strips and cornbread, season with salt and toss to coat. Let stand until broth is absorbed, about 30 min.
4 Preheat oven to 350.Oil a 9x13 baking dish. Transfer the dressing to the dish and cover with foil.Bake 20 min until heated thru. Uncover and bake until top is brown--appx 15 min. Serve . (Can be referigerated unbaked up to 2 days-bring to room temp before baking)

Tortilla Broth
3 T veg oil
two 6 inch corn tortillas, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 med onion, minced
1 C canned tomato puree
5 C chicken stock
1 T chili powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 T ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste
salt to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add chopped tortillas and garlic and cook over mod high heat, stirring, until tortillas are crisp and garlic browned, about 3 min.
2. Add minced onion to the saucepan along with the tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add the stock, chili powder, bay leaf, and cumin and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced to one Qt, about 30 min. Discard the bay leaf.
3. Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender. Addcayenne and salt to taste. ( The broth can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen at least a month)

Re: Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) - cjs - 11-21-2008

Well! Since I'm not a fan of cornbread stuffings/dressings, I'll probably never make this, but the tortilla broth really sounds like a great soup base....will have to play with that part of it. Some black beans, sausage, poblanos, ..... Thanks for posting this Bill.

---

Shoot, just reread the whole recipe and about all I'd have to do is omit the cornbread and go with it!

Re: Tortilla-Corn Bread Dressing (Thanksgiving) - Old Bay - 11-22-2008

Quote:

Well! Since I'm not a fan of cornbread stuffings/dressings, I'll probably never make this, but the tortilla broth really sounds like a great soup base....will have to play with that part of it. Some black beans, sausage, poblanos, ..... Thanks for posting this Bill.

---

Shoot, just reread the whole recipe and about all I'd have to do is omit the cornbread and go with it!

Grill a chicken breast, shread or chop it, make a guacamole, fry some tortilla strips, top the soup with them--add a little cumin and chili powder to the broth--Tortilla Soup!!!--Great Thanksgiving start!!