Cuisine at home Forums
white chicken chili - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: white chicken chili (/showthread.php?tid=68010)

white chicken chili - chef_Tab - 10-26-2008

Has anyone made this from the Soups, Stews, and Chilis book? I made this today and it was good. A friend made it a few days ago and complained it was a bit too spicy. When I read the recipe, it calls for a teaspoon of white pepper. I don't think I have ever used that much in a single recipe, so I cut it in half. I did not find the chili spicy at all. Now I am questioning if the amount of pepper is a typo, or just chalk the whole thing up to differences in taste.

Re: white chicken chili - Gourmet_Mom - 10-26-2008

It wouldn't be the first. On the other hand, a lot of people have told me they have learned to cut certain ingredients in half when they are in the C@H recipes. Red pepper flakes and feta are two that come to mind. Especially the feta.

Re: white chicken chili - labradors - 10-26-2008

If a recipe calls for peppers, I usually increase them. If the recipe calls for red-pepper flakes, I use Cayenne. Of course, I DO test them to make sure they aren't getting TOO hot.

Re: white chicken chili - HomeCulinarian - 10-27-2008

I'm so loyal to the White Chicken Chile in my Best Recipe Book that I wasn't even interested in trying this one. If I get ambitious in the next few days, I'll type it in for ya'all.

And I agree about the amounts of pepper and red pepper flakes in many of the recipes. Cut in half at a minimum.

Re: white chicken chili - chef_Tab - 10-27-2008

I used to double the amount of pepper, until C@H recipes. Same for Tobasco. I am questioning a full teaspoon of pepper. I am fairly sure I have never seen that in a recipe before. Typically, it seems to be 1/4 tsp pepper in most dishes.
I am with you HC, I have a different White Chicken Chili recipe that I like better as well. I just thought that since the Lentil Soup recipe was better than my old one, I would try this one.

Re: white chicken chili - cjs - 10-27-2008

White pepper is not as strong as black pepper, so you can use more.