Cuisine at home Forums
Old Cuisine at Home recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Old Cuisine at Home recipe (/showthread.php?tid=67534)

Old Cuisine at Home recipe - gbuwfan - 10-20-2008

HELP!!
I am trying to find a recipe from an old Cuisine probably from 2006 using squash or sweet potatoes as the main ingredient. They are peeled and cubed, sauted and then spices such as garlic, ginger, I think curry powder are then added and continued to be sauted. It's a wonderful side dish and was used as a side dish in the magazine.
Please, if anyone can find it in an old addition would you please email or post it. I want to use it for Thanksgiving cause my sister in law is vegetarian.

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - BarbaraS - 10-20-2008

Is it Curried Sweet Potato Soup?

1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 bay leaf
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 T. vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, peeled, cubed
1 t. curry powder
1/4 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup brown lentils
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
plain yogurt or sour cream

SAUTE onion, carrot, celery, ginger, bay leaf, and pepper flakes in oil in a pot over medium-high heat until soft, 8-10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and curry powder; suate 1 minute

DEGLAZE WITH wine; simmer until almost evaporated, then stir in broth, tomatoes, and lentils. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, 25-20 minutes.

OFF HEAT, stir in 2 T. cilantro, lemon juice, and salt. Garnish each serving of soup with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and some of the remaining cilantro.

HTH.

Barbara

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - cjs - 10-20-2008

Doesn't sound familiar - wish we could help more, but without more to go on. I searched "squash" and "curry" and got nothing.

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - gbuwfan - 10-20-2008

Hi,
Thanks for the try. It's not a soup. The sweet potato is sauted then spices are added and everything is mixed together. I am just not sure exactly what spices and quantity.

Pam

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - HomeCulinarian - 10-20-2008

Hi, Pam -- Looking at the index for recipes with squash or sweet potatoes... or something related.

Butternut Squash Gratin - issue 5:17
Grilled Summer Squash - 52:10
Ratatouille - 50:41
Scalloped 66:11
Yams - 59:43

Do any of these look familiar. I have the magazines, but not the access to the electronic archives.

Hope this helps!

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - cjs - 10-21-2008

I can't remember when c@h quit posting recipes in the archives, but looking thru them for sweet potatoes, nothing is similar to what you mentioned. And no better luck looking for squash.

Re: Old Cuisine at Home recipe - DFen911 - 10-21-2008

Was it chunky like a potatoe salad would be? Do you recall if it was served hot or cold?

I found one called Gingered Sweet Potatoes but they are like mashed potato consistency.