Cuisine at home Forums
Brandy Question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Brandy Question (/showthread.php?tid=67059)

Brandy Question - Gourmet_Mom - 10-14-2008

The Coq au Vin calls for 1/2 cup of brandy and 2 cups of dry white wine. I forgot I needed the brandy, so do I go to the store or substitute. I have in the pantry/fridge: dry white wine, red zin, dry and sweet vermouth, marsala, dry and cream sherry, and ruby port. Suggestions?

A deciding factor...I'm also out of fresh garlic.

Re: Brandy Question - DFen911 - 10-14-2008

Well Brandy is distilled wine. So basically what it's doing is adding another level to the wine flavor. I'm not if you could replace it. Might be best to go without it. The dish will still taste good.

Re: Brandy Question - Gourmet_Mom - 10-14-2008

Thanks Denise. I'm beginning to think I may just need to go to the store. UGGG! I just got in and relaxed! One good thing about this little place, it's not unusual to see people in rollers, housecoats, and bedroom slippers at the store. So at least I won't have to change clothes. I can go in my old shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops...LOL!

Re: Brandy Question - Old Bay - 10-14-2008

I think I would go get the brandy--I'm sorry, that's not what you wanted to hear--it will be worth it!!!

Lucky me! William just called and he hasn't even left Southport. He was already planning on going by the liquor store! Now I have only to settle in my mind if I can live without the fresh garlic.

Thanks for the info you two. I guess brandy will now be living in my pantry as well. With cooler weather coming on...eventually...I'll have to get a bigger bottle. I just remembered a really nice hot toddy we used to make using brandy and frangelica....YUM!

Re: Brandy Question - cjs - 10-14-2008

glad you're holding out for the brandy!

We're having another round of those drinks Roy found the other day to use up the grape juice, ginger ale and vodka. gee they are good!

Well, I won't know the difference this time, but it sure did smell good after I added it and now it's smelling REALLY good!

Re: Brandy Question - firechef - 10-15-2008

Brandy??? I've heard she's a fine girl...

Come on Labs or Billy you know you want to jump in here with me on this one!!!

Re: Brandy Question - farnfam - 10-15-2008

OH great LJ, now that'll be washing around in my tiny brain all day ........."what a good wife you would be", la la la......
Cis

Re: Brandy Question - HomeCulinarian - 10-15-2008

That's my assistant's name - only spelled with an 'i'. She got married weekend before last and they played the Brandy song by the Looking Glass from 1972... I decided her parents must have really liked that song ...

There's a port, on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors, pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

(for all the lyrics - go to http://www.oracleband.net/Lyrics/brandy.htm)