Cuisine at home Forums
Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? (/showthread.php?tid=63495)

Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - - 08-23-2008

We are still getting some rain/wind from "Fay" but not near as much as yesterday and the day before - finally got to run our generator - "electrical cords draped throughout the house with care" - made a pot of coffee and some scrambled eggs before the power was restored (this was yesterday) - today we are rewinding cords, mucking about in the garden to see what got blown over - our general area had some small tornados but nothing too close - but boy, we have had enough rain - that storm has drenched Flordia - ~ ~ seems like a chicken soup or chili day today -

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - esgunn - 08-23-2008

Oh I am so sorry. I am glad the worst is over.

Sorry about not taking any rain - we get enough of our own!

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - Gourmet_Mom - 08-23-2008

I am sooo sorry! I totally forgot we had a member in the line of fire!

We got a few outer bands of the stuff yesterday, but nothing like you guys! I'm glad the worst is over! (At least I think so, seems like I heard somewhere yesterday they were talking about it regenerating in the Gulf.) And so the season begins...and we've already had an F!

Glad you got your power back! Funny thing about generators...you gotta love 'em but you hate 'em, too! Yup, just checked the Weather Channel in time to catch a Tropical Udate...looks like you guys are still getting a few bands of the wet stuff. Fix you a pot of chili...that can sit on the stove and simmer all day while you put everything back to rights!

I reviewed something recently that had some great flavors I wanted to include in my next pot of chili...I'll have to check. Found it, it's the Turkey Pozole we had for Sharon's Birthday Dinner Review. The flavors were VERY good.

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - Harborwitch - 08-23-2008

I'd love some rain right now! I just hate the wind - I guess that comes from 8 years of having to walk the docks in the marina at all hours of the day or night when the wind was howling to make sure all the boats were okay.

I don't mind the wind so much now . . . that I don't have to do that anymore. We're in a drought situation so I'm hoping for a nice wet fall and winter!!!

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - Gourmet_Mom - 08-23-2008

Sonja, here's two more ideas for a dreary wet day.

This is very much like how I do my chicken soup, but I have not made this particular recipe yet. But it's GOT to be good!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 whole chicken -- seasoned with salt & pepper (3-4 lbs.)
8 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups celery -- sliced
1 1/2 cups carrots -- sliced
1 1/2 cups leeks -- sliced into half-moons, rinsed thoroughly
8 oz. kluski* noodles
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Roast chicken on a rack in a roasting pan for 1 hour, or to an internal temperature of 165°F in the thigh. Remove from the oven and let rest 15-20 min. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones in large pieces.

Bring the broth, celery, carrot, and leeks to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer gently for 5 min. Stir in chicken pieces and any juices from the roasting pan; simmer 5 more min.

Add noodles, cover pot, and remove from heat. Let stand for 15 min., and then eat a noodle to test for doneness. If they're still slightly undercooked, replace lid, and let stand an additional 3-5 min., or until fully tender.

Stir in parsley and serve soup with lemon wedges.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Splendid Soups"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=51397&page=0&fpart=all"

NOTES : *C@H note: "Kluski" is a generic Polish term for all types of dumplings, but sometimes also refers to any variety of noodles. For this, I used a dry kluski noodle found in the grocery store aisle with the dried pastas. But if you can't find them, any dry or frozen egg noodle will work."

This one got RAVE reviews and I've added it to my menu for this week. I'll never get to make it if I wait for cold weather...LOL!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lasagna Soup

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Brown; Stir in:
1 pound italian sausage -- bulk
2 cups onions -- chopped
1 cup carrots -- diced
2 cups mushrooms -- sliced
2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
Add; Stir in:
4 cups chicken broth
14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes -- Italian style
10 3/4 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup pasta -- mafalda
2 cups fresh spinach -- chopped
1 cup provolone cheese -- or mozzarella, diced
Garnish with:
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- shredded
4 teaspoons fresh basil -- thinly sliced

Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.

Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Place 1/4 cup cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top.

Garnish with Parmesan and basil.

Related Recipes: Creamy Parmesan Dressing

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 34"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:45"

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - pjcooks - 08-23-2008

Glad to hear you pulld through okay, Sonja. What a wierd, wet summer this has been. The first day it didn't rain for an entire 6 weeks here in NH was the wedding day, we were blessed.

Hopefully Fay will be a memory soon.

PJ

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - Old Bay - 08-23-2008

We had a "little" tropical storm named Allison a few years ago--not much wind, but the rain wouldn't go away!! Good luck!!

Re: Can we share this RAIN with anyone??? - - 08-23-2008

Oh, the Lasagna soup looks yummy - I will copy both of these - I don't think I have ever seen those noodles in the chicken soup recipe but I will look at the specialty store - thanks a bunch - I usually keep chicken soup in the freezer for the "sick" - but I am all fresh out -

I think this storm has "hit" Florida four times now - back and forth - we here in Savannah have been on the "right" side of the storm and just keep getting pelted with rain - the sun came out a few hours ago for about an hour - now raining again!!

yeah, we usually have rain every afternoon between 4:30 and 6:00 - just enough to make the streets "smoke" - this hurricane/storm has just kind of stalled and kept going around in the same circle - we only had a tiny bit of damage - just to two basil plants - had to pull the leaves and put them in the dehydrator -