Cuisine at home Forums
Black Pepper - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Black Pepper (/showthread.php?tid=60682)

Black Pepper - bjcotton - 07-21-2008

I was reading an article in another magazine about when to season "stuff" with black pepper. The consensus seemed to be that if you put fresh ground pepper on a steak 'before' you put it in the skillet you could get a slightly 'burned' pepper taste, but the pepper itself would have a milder taste. If you seasoned it 'after' it came off the grill/skillet you would have a more profound black pepper taste. Which do you do and possible why?

Re: Black Pepper - esgunn - 07-21-2008

Billy, I always season my meat before cooking/grilling. Both with salt and pepper. I do not like the tasts/smell of meat cooking that has no seasoning on it at all. Just a quirk I have.

Re: Black Pepper - - 07-21-2008

We season ours as well before grilling - it seems that you can't get "enough" seasoning taste after the meat has been grilled - I have had it both ways and seasoning before is how Mister and I like it

Re: Black Pepper - chef_Tab - 07-21-2008

I am with the others on this one. Seasoning with salt and pepper prior to cooking, especially grilling or searing, makes a world of difference. Freshly ground, of course.

Re: Black Pepper - labradors - 07-21-2008

One word: "blackened."

Re: Black Pepper - chef_Tab - 07-21-2008

Quote:

One word: "blackened."

"yeah, baby!"

Re: Black Pepper - Harborwitch - 07-21-2008

I roast my peppercorns before using them anyway - I think it gives them a deeper flavor - and that just improves during grilling. We usually brush or rub a bit of olive oil on the meat first, making sure that it dry beforehand. Then we season it up with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning we want.

Re: Black Pepper - Old Bay - 07-21-2008

I season before cooking too. Am Test Kitchen suggested for steak au poive to boil the whole peppercons briefly in a skillet--dry, and then crush them and put on the meat. It works--you can use a lot of pepper and get a lot of flavor without overpowering the dish.

Re: Black Pepper - Trixxee - 07-21-2008

We season before cooking as well.

Re: Black Pepper - HomeCulinarian - 07-21-2008

I'm with everyone else here -- before! I also try to get beef to room temp before putting on the grill.