Cuisine at home Forums
Must have shrimp - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Must have shrimp (/showthread.php?tid=60446)

Must have shrimp - Gourmet_Mom - 07-18-2008

OK, that's it! I've gotta get some shrimp this weekend. No only is the shrimp parfait a MUST DO, I just found this great recipe. I thought I did good a couple weeks ago with my version of a shrimp pizza, but I think this will beat it HANDS DOWN!

Awesome Al's Shrimp Pie
Boys Creole Café
Awesome Al's Shrimp Pie is served at Po' Boys Creole Café for $7.25. This recipe is for a serving size of two.
Ingredients
1/4 cup yellow onions, finely chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp olive oil
12 ounces medium Gulf shrimp, peeled
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp honey
12 ounces chopped, thawed, well-drained spinach
2 8-inch pizza pie crusts
20 ounces shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
Cocktail sauce (optional)
Steal This Recipe® step-by-step Instructions
1. Sauté yellow and green onions, oregano, salt, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil and white wine until soft
2. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns a pinkish color
3. Remove from heat and let cool
4. Once cooled, pour into a mixing bowl and add cream cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, honey and spinach
5. Mix until there are no lumps of cream cheese or butter remaining
6. Spread 1 cup of the mixture on each pie crust
7. Sprinkle each pie with 10 ounces of shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees until each pie is lightly brown on top (check periodically)
Optional: serve with a side of cocktail sauce

Re: Must have shrimp - cjs - 07-18-2008

I would only change one step in this recipe - adding whole shrimp (along with the onions and mushrooms), it will be very difficult to get a smoothness to the butter and cream cheese.

When ( ) I do this I will mix the cream cheese, butter, worcestershire and honey together, then add the spinach to incorporate and then the onion/mushroom mixture and the shrimp. This sound really good!

Re: Must have shrimp - Mare749 - 07-18-2008

This sounds really good. Thanks Daphne! And thank you Jean, for the suggestions. I copied those too.

Re: Must have shrimp - Gourmet_Mom - 07-18-2008

I agree. I'll probably do like I did last time and saute, then chop. Thanks for the tips Jean! Pizza and parfaits are on the menu for tomorrow.

Re: Must have shrimp - HomeCulinarian - 07-18-2008

This sounds really good, and really rich. I was thinking about how it might be converted to an appetizer. I guess the easiest way would be to make the 8" pies and cut them into pieces and serve it to a crowd. Or is there a different kind of crust that could work in a muffin or mini-muffin pan?

Re: Must have shrimp - cjs - 07-19-2008

How about on an English muffin, or a lightly toasted bread round and then under the broiler for a minute or two? Be a great little appetizer.