Cuisine at home Forums
Gingered Carrot Soup - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Gingered Carrot Soup (/showthread.php?tid=59999)

Gingered Carrot Soup - bjcotton - 07-11-2008

I made this today and it was WONDERFUL! It wasn't like the Creamed Carrot Soup I had in the hospital, but it was really good. Paul wasn't impressed since he only likes carrots when they're cooked in a Pot Roast. The only thing wrong with it was there was so little of it. I'd make at least a double batch next time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gingered Carrot Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Soups-Stocks-Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE SOUP
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup leeks -- sliced and rinsed
1 tablespoon ginger -- minced
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1 pound carrots, peeled -- thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
FOR THE TANGY CREAM
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
salt -- to taste

Saute leeks in butter in a large pot over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add ginger and garlic, and cook 1 minute.

Stir in carrots, sugar, salt, and cayenne; saute 1 minute.

Deglaze with wine and reduce until nearly evaporated, then stir in the broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Puree with a hand blender.

Finish soup with lemon juice.

Whip cream to soft peeks in a bowl, then fold in the sour cream and salt. Dollop onto servings of soup.

Source:
"CAH Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Gingered Carrot Soup - cjs - 07-11-2008

hmmm, doesn't sound good to me at all, but I'm not a carrot fan really. Maybe I should made for Roy Rogers tho.

Re: Gingered Carrot Soup - HomeCulinarian - 07-11-2008

I've looked at this recipe a couple of times, but haven't made it yet. I think it sounds good.

Last night we made the easy broccoli cheese soup from this book. It was good and a good way to use up the leftover broccoli. I was wondering if we could freeze the cheese soup without having the cheese separate or get gloppy. I used the American cheese the recipe called for. Advice?

Re: Gingered Carrot Soup - bjcotton - 07-11-2008

I don't really know. I do know that if you freeze cheeses it gets crumbly and cream cheese gets grainy unless it's used in another dish like Cheesecake.

Re: Gingered Carrot Soup - Mare749 - 07-11-2008

I thought this sounded familiar! Now I remember making this and yes, it was quite good. Thanks for bringing this up again.

Re: Gingered Carrot Soup - bjcotton - 07-12-2008

The only change I made to the recipe was I used Chipotle Red Pepper grounds because I didn't have cayenne. It was either that or Hot Paprika.