Cuisine at home Forums
Ricotta Orzo - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ricotta Orzo (/showthread.php?tid=59403)

Ricotta Orzo - Mare749 - 06-26-2008

Here is a tasty recipe that we tried recently. Will definately be making this again, especially once I start making my own fresh ricotta. Nice summer dish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ricotta Orzo

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound orzo
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped leeks -- rinsed well
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fresh ricotta
4 strips thick bacon -- cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup whole milk -- warmed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped dill (or chervil, chives, or parsley)

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, Add a tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook for 4 minutes. Drain, and rinse well. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the leeks. Cook until leeks are tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the peas, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the orzo, ricotta, and bacon, and toss well over medium heat until warm, about 3 minutes. Add the milk, parmesan, and dill and cook for 1 more minute. Serve hot.

Source:
"Country Living - June 2008"

Re: Ricotta Orzo - pjcooks - 06-26-2008

Thanks, Maryanne! Got the fresh ricotta, I'm in a risotto/orzo phase at the moment and this fits right in-it sounds really good.

I have MC and haven't done a thing with it, I don't know where to start. So there it sits, taking up space.

Copied and printed.

PJ

Re: Ricotta Orzo - Harborwitch - 06-26-2008

Well - now I have to go see if I have leeks, peas, and orzo! That sounds so good - and easy. Thank you!!!

Re: Ricotta Orzo - Lorraine - 06-27-2008

Sounds great, thanks!

Re: Ricotta Orzo - cjs - 06-27-2008

hmmm, that's dinner tonight with some shrimp, I think. And I do have some l/o homemade ricotta to use up.

Country Living - it's been so long since I've looked at that magazine. I used to subscribe for years.

Re: Ricotta Orzo - Harborwitch - 06-27-2008

I rounded up everything last night - and got all ready to fix this for dinner, but no orzo!!! I think it will be dinner tonight. I like the idea of some shrimp too, Jean.

Re: Ricotta Orzo - Mare749 - 06-27-2008

"Country Living - it's been so long since I've looked at that magazine. I used to subscribe for years."

Don't waste your money, Jean. It's almost all advertising. Very disappointing, I won't be buying it.

Re: Ricotta Orzo - Gourmet_Mom - 06-28-2008

OMG! This sounds awesome! Thanks Maryann! I've got everything so on the list of sides...I'm getting tired of potatoes from the garden. Time to find a place to "keep" them.

Re: Ricotta Orzo - cjs - 06-28-2008

Well, we had this last night, but I really can't give it a fair review...I had so any dibs and dabs of things in the fridge to use up that it wouldn't be fair. But, it was wonderful, we really enjoyed it and a great way to use up homemade ricotta when it gets near the end of its time.

Re: Ricotta Orzo - cjs - 02-20-2009

one of our anon friends was looking at this thread - I haven't made this for so long. It's time, I think.