Cuisine at home Forums
Just making Sure - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Just making Sure (/showthread.php?tid=57108)

Just making Sure - Barbarainnc - 05-14-2008

The recipe calls for 400 grams of flour, all-purpose. I figured 3 and 1/4 cups.

There are many conversion charts and they have different amounts. Am I right?? Thanks for your help!!!

Re: Just making Sure - Gourmet_Mom - 05-14-2008

Barbara, I get 4.025 cups. Short of weighing it out, that's my best guess. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll weigh it out for you.

Re: Just making Sure - Barbarainnc - 05-14-2008

Thanks for helping me out!!!

Re: Just making Sure - Gourmet_Mom - 05-14-2008

Wait, Barbara! I just went and weighed it out. 3 cups unsifted equals 432 grams. Looks like we were both wrong. Depending on what you are making, I'd start with 2 cups and go up from there.

But if I was you, I'd go get me a scale. Is this something you have made before? If you are making bread or dough, you should be able to tell when it "gets right".

Re: Just making Sure - cjs - 05-15-2008

227g = 8 oz. by weight. (1 cup-unsifed, all purpose = 5 oz. by weight)

Re: Just making Sure - Harborwitch - 05-15-2008

We got a scale this Spring and I absolutely love it. I can weigh flour in pounds & ounces, grams, or, if I tell the scale what I'm weighing (from a list they provide - compiled by King Arthur flour) it will display the weight in cups and tablespoons. It also has a tare feature, I can weigh out 4 cups of whole wheat flour, tare our the scale, reset the value for white bread flour and weight out 3 cups of that, then tare it, change the value to cornmean, and weigh out 1/2 cup of cornmeal - all in the same bowl. Love it to pieces.

Re: Just making Sure - Barbarainnc - 05-16-2008

What kind of scale did you get?? Thanks for the info. SmileSmile

Re: Just making Sure - Harborwitch - 05-16-2008

Escale. King Arthur and Breadtopia.com both sell the model I got - but we found ours at a cookware shop locally. I absolutely love it.

Re: Just making Sure - firechef - 05-17-2008

King Arthur is pricey but since a friend of mine is a "puller" of product from their online store in Norwich, Vermont (about 5 minutes from where I lived as a little tyke) so I would have to say go with them...he needs the money to get by until ski season and cooking hit again for him.