Cuisine at home Forums
Earthquake in Illinois!! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Earthquake in Illinois!! (/showthread.php?tid=55770)

Earthquake in Illinois!! - HomeCulinarian - 04-18-2008

Earthquake News Report

This was sure a big surprise this morning. I was awakened by the lamp shade rattling in the bedroom. We are far enough away to only have felt it. I'm not aware of any local damage. And, tornado season has just started.

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - mlucas1 - 04-18-2008

I saw this on my local news this morning too. Very scary! Glad you're okay!!

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - esgunn - 04-18-2008

Those are scary. Glad you only got a lamp shade rattle. I didn't know that area got many earthquakes - certainly not large ones.

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - luvnit - 04-18-2008

How freaky! We don't get quakes or tremors here either. I amsure it was quite a surprise for you!

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - cjs - 04-18-2008

We had an earthquake back there in '83-85 (?) when we lived in Kewanee, IL - and a tornado in California (where we came from...)

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - HomeCulinarian - 04-18-2008

We had an after-shock a short while ago. It's a freaky feeling.

There is a large fault in southern Illinois called the New Madris (MAD ris). There have been some big quakes many years ago. There was one that changed the path of the Mississippi River.

Re: Earthquake in Illinois!! - labradors - 04-18-2008

...and here we just thought you were trying a new Shake 'n' Bake recipe.

Glad to hear there were no serious problems.

Hang in there - lxxf - 04-18-2008

We lived in South America for eight years and our last post, Ecuador, was very seismically active. We had a really big one (near 7) and earthquakes are no joke. Twenty years later, I still look for exits when I enter a new building.

Re: Hang in there - cjs - 04-18-2008

That bad one a number of years ago that messed with the mighty Mississippi made it run the opposite direction for 2 or 3 minutes!!!! Unbelievable.

Re: Hang in there - Lorraine - 04-18-2008

I biotch and complain about our weather here, but I can't imagine living with that! Glad to hear you are all safe.