Cuisine at home Forums
OT - Tomato Plants - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: OT - Tomato Plants (/showthread.php?tid=53921)

OT - Tomato Plants - DFen911 - 03-30-2008

Ok so in another post I mentioned I had planted 2 tomato plants and a bell pepper.

Well I noticed today some small nibble marks. Well I will not allow some little bug to eat my plants.

I really don't want to use pesticides. Anyone know a homemade recipe I can use to keep my plants safe?

Re: OT - Tomato Plants - pjcooks - 03-30-2008

Well, Denise, that problem is all too common here with our short growing season and lots of wet.

The old method of spraying with a mild organic soap and water solution comes to mind but it has to be done daily. There is a new organic product out there, from The Garden Guys, that is supposed to work. It's fairly new and I hope to try it this year.

http://www.garden-guys.com/insect.html

I just saw an ad for a tomato growing system, upside down. Topsy-turvey something or other, ever heard of it? Our season here is so short.

PJ

Re: OT - Tomato Plants - cjs - 03-30-2008

garlic water also is supposed to work.

Re: OT - Tomato Plants - bjcotton - 03-30-2008

My neighbor grows his tomatoes upsidedown. He set a post in the garden and put 2 cross-bars on it so he can grow 4 hanging tomato plants. Seems to work for him. Shultz has come out with an insecticide that is made with organic stuff. Check it out at your outdoor garden store.

Re: OT - Tomato Plants - DFen911 - 03-30-2008

I have heard about pepper water, with red pepper flakes. But wasn't sure of the 'mix' and didn't want to burn the leaves or know that was even possible.

Re: OT - Tomato Plants - luvnit - 03-30-2008

Here are some upside down tomatoes! I hear this works with zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, egg plants, beans, jalapenos... Not sure what else, but I wanna try it!

[Image: buckets6605.jpg]

Safer - lxxf - 03-30-2008

uses some sort of soap. It's not harmful and not too effective either - that's been my experience.

Sally

Re: Safer - cjs - 03-31-2008

What's the purpose of the plants upside down???

Re: Safer - labradors - 03-31-2008

Must be good for Chinese and Australian food.

Re: Safer - bjcotton - 03-31-2008

I ordered 5 Apache/Commanche/Cherokee or whatever Purple tomato plants. They are due to be shipped May 1st. I've never even seen the purple tomatoes, but I'm going to try to grow some.