Cuisine at home Forums
18 Hour Bread Question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: 18 Hour Bread Question (/showthread.php?tid=51304)

18 Hour Bread Question - DFen911 - 03-02-2008

Ok I'm finally going to try this since things are hopefully going to be quiet for a while.

You guys are using AP flour, is there a reason why to use AP verses bread flour? And you don't sift the flour?

I'm so used to seeing bread recipes where everything is weighed out.

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - Mare749 - 03-02-2008

Denise, I usually use bread flour, but have made this with regular all-purpose too. I do weigh my flour, 3 cups is 15 oz. Try to check out the videos on breadtopia.com. They make it all so easy and the videos aren't long.

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - DFen911 - 03-02-2008

Oh neat site thank you!

Well poo I'm going to have to buy a pot too cook this in. I really like the Romertopf clay pot that some are using.

So I think I'll see about hitting the outlet stores and see if they have anything on sale

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - cjs - 03-02-2008

I use weights also - I just posted the 'travel copy' somewhere that gives the weights for eveything.

here's the latest version - get busy and catch up with us! These are the ones with the beer and sugar/honey and vinegar.

[Image: 18HRBREAD.jpg]

Omg those looks fantastic!!! I wish I could go get a pot today. Have to recover funds though from the 2 events

I can't wait to make this bread and start playing with the recipe.

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - Mare749 - 03-02-2008

Jean, that really is a great picture. That bread looks fantastic. Does it taste as good as it looks? Mine is in a warm spot taking a little snooze till morning. Hope it comes out as good as yours.

Denise, you really don't have to use a special pot for this bread. The best crust seems to come out of using my cast iron dutch oven, or cast iron enameled dutch oven. But, I have also experimented with other pots and pans, including Corning Ware, Pyrex, and even an old Club aluminum pot. Oh, and sometimes, I just drop it on my pizza stone and bake it the whole time that way. Just be careful not to deflate it any more than you have to. It always comes out good.

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - luvnit - 03-02-2008

That's it! I am making this bread again.

Here is the sourdough version of this I picked up on the net for anyone interested:

NO-KNEAD SOURDOUGH

After Mark Bittman's feature in the New York Times (November 8, 2006) on Jim Lahey's no-knead bread, I received many inquires asking if it is possible to make no-knead sourdough. It took just one look at Lahey's recipe to focus on the 12 hour "rest". It seemed pretty obvious. Lactobacilli in a sourdough culture "fermenting" for 12 hours should produce a far better flavor than ¼ teaspoon of instant yeast and no lactobacilli. It is only necessary to modify the recipe for the extra flour and water added by the sourdough culture. Here's what it looks like.

Recipe (see note)
Produces one 1½ pound loaf

1 cup fully active sourdough culture
440 grams (3 cups) all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1 cup water
1½ teaspoons salt

1. In a large bowl briefly combine sourdough culture, flour, water and salt. The consistency should be very firm and shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and proof 12-18 hours at about 70° F. At 70-75 degrees the bread leavens well and has the distinct sourness and flavor of sourdough. At more than 75 degrees the dough becomes too acidic which inhibits the wild yeast and leavens poorly. At much less than 70 degrees the dough leavens well but has a mild flavor.

2. After the 12-18 hour fermentation this is very sticky dough. Use a plastic spatula to ease it away from the edges of the bowl onto a lightly floured board. Sprinkle the surface with additional flour and let the dough rest 15 minutes or so.

3. With minimal handling and additional flour (not more than ¼ cup) form a ball which is placed directly in the baking container to rise (or placed between cotton cloths as described by Lahey) and proofed until ready to bake, double in bulk (about 4 hours). The baking container can be almost any small covered pot (avoid willow baskets since the sticky dough is difficult to remove).

4. Lahey bakes the dough in an oven and container both preheated to 450° for approximately 1 hour. To obtain better oven spring place the risen dough in its container in a cool oven, set the oven at 450°, turn it on and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. You will never knead a better sourdough!
Note: In developing the above recipe, I used our Original San Francisco culture. There are several additional recipes for no-knead sourdoughs in the section on batter breads in Classic Sourdoughs.

I don't have a cast iron anything I have 2 good pizza stones but thought the dough would either collapse or have no shape to it if I used a stone.

But if I proof the final rise in a glass bowl to give the initial shape and just invert it onto the hot stone that would work? Even if I can't cover it for the first 20-30 minutes? Is the covering for moisture? I could put the other stone in and toss a few ice cubes on it for a steam effect.

Re: 18 Hour Bread Question - Gourmet_Mom - 03-03-2008

I'm with Laura! Heck with waiting to get a smaller pot! I'm trying it again with my big cast iron dutch oven again. I'll try centering it better and hope it doesn't collapse on one side again. Funny, I can make foccacia, italian, rustic, and french, but not this! I will not be beat! This would be so much easier for week day baking also! (Not necessarily a good thing...LOL!) Shoot, I forgot to make my pizza dough for tomorrow!