Cuisine at home Forums
Roux - Save or let go? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Roux - Save or let go? (/showthread.php?tid=49295)

Roux - Save or let go? - DFen911 - 02-07-2008

Ok so I fried some wonderful porkchops, and I always like to make a nice roux for gravy. Had plenty of fat to make a really nice roux. Only I need about 1/2 of it. Think I could I freeze the other half to use later for a fast gravy?

I should say the reason why this roux is so 'special' to me is because I cooked almost 1/2 lb of bacon and use that fat along with some veg. oil to make my roux. Bacon fat is very rare in my house as hubby is watching cholesterol and daughter is a vegetarian. So this is gold to me

Re: Roux - Save or let go? - bjcotton - 02-07-2008

Freeze it! For a couple of months anyway.

Re: Roux - Save or let go? - esgunn - 02-07-2008

I'd try and freeze it, you would have to warm it up before making the gravy, so I think you would know if it was ok or it was going to hold the gravy before adding the other stuff. Shure is better than ditching it.

Re: Roux - Save or let go? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-07-2008

I agree...I figure it's better to try than not. If it doesn't look right after thawing it, you can toss it. If you toss it, you'll never know.

Re: Roux - Save or let go? - labradors - 02-07-2008

No problem with freezing it. People freeze roux all the time, especially brown roux (since it takes so long to make). Even so, don't keep it for a year or more - use it sooner.

Re: Roux - Save or let go? - DFen911 - 02-07-2008

Oh that's wonderful news I'll probably use it within a few weeks.

Thanks!!