Cuisine at home Forums
Coconut Milk - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Coconut Milk (/showthread.php?tid=45883)

Coconut Milk - Trixxee - 12-31-2007

What is your favorite brand?
Do you prefer regular over light, or vice versa?
Do you think any recipes you've made have suffered from using light?

Re: Coconut Milk - esgunn - 12-31-2007

I don't have a favorite brand - and I have not tried light... but I recently read something about it. I think it was in one of my New Best Recipe books. They said they preferred the light - I think they said they thought it added more coconut flavor with out masking the other flavors (curry)or making it too rich.

I am planning on trying this the next time I make curry or panang curry. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any experience with the light.

Re: Coconut Milk - vannin - 12-31-2007

I think it is important not to confuse the c.n. milk and cream. They very different.

Re: Coconut Milk - Harborwitch - 12-31-2007

Funny you should mention it! I buy whatever coconut milk is on sale - and we usually buy a lot at a time, love it to death.

Today we stopped at a Latin American restaurant for lunch. In addition to all of the wonderful food they had blackbeans and rice cooked together in coconut milk. I could have made a meal on that alone - but everything else was too good!

Re: Coconut Milk - labradors - 12-31-2007

I've just been getting the least-expensive brand at the time. It's usually the same brand, most times, but I don't recall the name right now (though it IS in Spanish, and probably not a U.S.-available brand).

In general, I get the one that's L15 or L16, thus, 80 to 85 cents per can.

Although I don't like the coconut meat (a texture thing, again), I love the flavour of the coconut milk, and especially like to use it in place of regular milk in my favourite custard recipe. YUM!

Re: Coconut Milk - cjs - 01-01-2008

Sharon, I made a rice & bean dish cooked in coconut milk just a while back - it was soooo rich, but really flavorful.

I think I have bought both, but right now I have 3 cans of Chaokoh, a product of Thailand. I don't remember disliking the light, so probably did not make much difference.

Re: Coconut Milk - Harborwitch - 01-01-2008

That's the brand we usually get.

We cook a lot of rice in coconut milk. It's something Jennifer brought back from a trip to Jamaica. A favorite is cooked in coconut milk and tossed with pickled (sushi) ginger bits and green onions.

Re: Coconut Milk - Trixxee - 01-01-2008

I usually get Trader Joe's brand. It's only .99. They only sell light. I am convinced I like the Thai Kitchen brand better but it's more than twice the cost as TJ's.

labradors - are you thinking of Goya?

Re: Coconut Milk - labradors - 01-01-2008

Quote:

labradors - are you thinking of Goya?

No - That's one that would almost definitely be available in the States. I'll just have to take a look when I go to the store, tomorrow.

Re: Coconut Milk - labradors - 01-04-2008

Took a couple extra days, because of New Year's and the rain, but here's a list (combining two different stores) of the brands of coconut milk available here:
  • Tropical
  • Jajá
  • Vigo
  • Goya
  • Hom-D
  • Crown
  • Thai Kitchen
  • Thai Agri
  • ¡Ya Está!
  • Elmigo
  • Promos
  • Roland
Again, I just usually get the least-expensive one at the time, which usually turns out to be Tropical, Roland or Thai Agri, at about 85 cents per can - certainly NOT Thai Kitchen, at about $3.00 per can.