Cuisine at home Forums
Goat Cheese substitute? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Goat Cheese substitute? (/showthread.php?tid=44354)

Goat Cheese substitute? - DFen911 - 12-08-2007

I asked this in the Pork wellington thread but thought I'd better ask here too.

What is a good substitute for goat cheese in the pork wellington recipe. While I can eat it, hubby can't stand that taste of it. I know that cream cheese doesnt' have the density and would run out.

Could I take potatoes (yukons) and slice them and cook them in stock to soften them and use them as a base? Perhaps putting a bit on Gruyere on top?

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - bjcotton - 12-08-2007

I just received my Holiday Menus today, so I'll take a look.

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - pjcooks - 12-08-2007

I don't know if this helps you, Denise, but the original recipe (#42, p23) called for boursin. I hope you're doing some your way, too! That's how I have to cook here, one way for me, plain for him

PJ

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - pjcooks - 12-08-2007

Here's the original recipe (although not individual Wellingtons) I just mentioned.

Pork Wellingtons
(Cuisine at home, December 2003, Issue 42, p. 23)

Makes: 4-6 Servings Total Time: About Hour + Chilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Pork Wellingtons—
Prepare and Stuff:
2 pork tenderloins (6-8 oz. each)
4 oz. Boursin cheese

Roll Tenderloins in; Sear in 1 T. Olive Oil:
6 oz. prosciutto (3 oz. per tenderloin)

Trim; Wrap Each Tenderloin in:
1 sheet thawed puff pastry, rolled to a 16x12" rectangle

Brush Pastry with; Chill and Bake:
1 egg beaten with 1 T. water

For the Apple-Sage Sauce—
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 T. tomato paste
2 bay leaves

Deglaze with:
1/4 cup apple juice or cider
1/4 cup dry white wine

Add and Simmer; Strain:
3 cups low-sodium beef broth

Combine; Whisk in:
2 T. cold water
2 t. cornstarch

Finish Sauce with:
1 T. apple jelly
1 T. truffle butter, optional (or substitute with 1 T. unsalted butter)
2 t. minced fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste

Related Recipes:

Apple-Sage Sauce for Pork Wellington

Prepare tenderloins, trimming off silverskin and the thin tail at the end. Butterfly them for stuffing, making a 1"-deep incision down the length of each; do not cut all the way through. Stuff each tenderloin with half the Boursin.

Roll tenderloins in prosciutto. Lay half the prosciutto slices in a single layer, overlapping them slightly. Place stuffed tenderloin at the base of the prosciutto and roll to cover. Repeat for the second tenderloin. Sear in oil in a skillet over med.-high heat until prosciutto is brown and crisp on all sides, 5–8 min. Chill.

Trim pastry, wrap pork, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Brush Wellingtons with egg-water mixture, then decorate with pastry vines and cutouts. Cover with plastic; chill 1 hour or up to 24. Preheat oven to 400° with rack in lower third. Brush with more egg wash for good browning. Bake tenderloins 30–35 min., or until golden. Let rest 5 min. before slicing. To serve, trim off the ends (they’re doughy), then slice into 2"-thick pieces, allowing 2–3 per person. Serve with sage sauce.

Saute vegetables, tomato paste, and bay leaves in butter until soft, 5 min.

Deglaze with juice or cider and wine, scraping bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced, 5 minutes.

Add beef broth; simmer 8–10 minutes, then strain. Return broth to a clean pan and bring to a boil over high heat.

Combine cornstarch and water in a bowl, smashing out lumps with your fingers. Whisk into the boiling broth, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.

Finish with jelly, truffle butter, and sage. Season with salt and pepper.

PJ

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - cjs - 12-08-2007

I responded on the other thread... ;crazy:

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - Old Bay - 12-08-2007

If this is in a stuffing--my daughter works in cheese at Central Market, Austin. She recently brought home an Arina Goat Gouda--it is so mild--so good--if you can find it or something like it , you may be able to make it work and I'll promise he'll never know. Eat a bite with a cracker before-- you will love it. I don't know where it came from--it's one of the glories of having an insider in cheese in a fabulous cheese market--small favors are nice--thank you Lord.

Re: Goat Cheese substitute? - cjs - 12-09-2007

Now, THAT makes me very envious, Bill!!!