Cuisine at home Forums
Another question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Another question (/showthread.php?tid=43645)

Another question - smschwag - 11-28-2007

It seems like I am always coming her asking questions but I know that this is a great place to get the answers.
I would like to make Fried Mozzerella Sticks for appetizers Christmas Eve. Naturally I would like to get most of the work done ahead of time. Could I prepare them ahead of time; freeze them and just crisp them up at serving time? I can think of a lot of things that could happen but hopefully someone here knows if it can be done. Will I'm at it I need some suggestions for side dishes for dinner. I'm having a Baked Lasagna Casserole and Baked Chicken & Sausage Manicotti with a salad and breads but I would like to have a vegie side dish or two.
The family likes the basic vegies like corn & green beans but I kinda wanted to "fancy" them up a little. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Another question - bjcotton - 11-28-2007

Okey Doke Shirley, how about these two:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Balsamic Green Beans

Recipe By :Chia
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound green beans
1 medium shallot -- sliced
2 cloves garlic -- smashed
1/4 cup water -- more if needed
1 tablespoon butter -- cut in pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Add 1 tsp vinegar to sugar, mix and set aside.

Heat a skillet on medium-high. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, shallots, green beans, salt and pepper and stir-fry for a few minutes until beans start to shrivel. Reduce heat to low, add water and balsamic/sugar mixture, cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Stir in remaining balsamic vinegar and butter, swirling pan to blend.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Casserole

Recipe By Tongueaula Deen
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 can whole kernel corn -- (15 1/4-ounce) drained
1 can cream-style corn -- (14 3/4-ounce)
1 package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy) -- (8-ounce)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter -- (1 stick) melted
1 cups shredded Cheddar -- (1 to 1 1/2)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

Re: Another question - cjs - 11-28-2007

"Could I prepare them ahead of time; freeze them and just crisp them up at serving time?"

if you mean to bake them first, freeze, then crisp up at serving time - I don't think I would. But, I would prep them ready for frying or baking (whatever the method is), freeze and cook from the frozen state, just adding a little
time.
Here's a wonderful side dish that even folks who say they don't like brussels sprouts love.... to serve as a side with your dinner, I think I would sub a little cubed ham or even prosciutto for the kielbasa.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Cream Sauce

Toss:
1 lb. Brussels sprouts -- halved lengthwise
2 cups red onions -- cut into wedges
8 oz. kielbasa -- 1/2 inch thick slices (subbed mini meatballs from home made bulk sausage)
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Simmer:
1/2 cup heavy cream (subbed canned milk-no heavy cream)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450°.

Toss sprouts, onions, and kielbasa in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes (30 minutes was perfect), or until sprouts are tender, yet still crisp.

Simmer cream, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. To serve, spoon sauce over roasted sprouts.

-----

Makes: 6 Cups

Description:
"Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 24"

----

or maybe roasted beets??

Re: Another question - luvnit - 11-28-2007

Billy,

Those look good! Especially the Balsamic Green Beans. I'll have to make those.

Re: Another question - HomeCulinarian - 11-28-2007

Our favorite vegetable is grilled/roasted asparagus. The preparation method is so much better than mushy asparagus.

Just snap off the woody ends at their natural breaking point. Toss in good EVO and sprinkle with a coarse sea salt. Broil or grill about 5 mintues. No sauce needed.

Another idea would be a cream of vegetable soup... You can make it ahead, reheat and serve it in coffee cups/mugs to make it easy to eat at a large gathering. I have a good roasted red pepper soup recipe, and I believe there are other posts here and recipes in the Soups cookbook for squash soup, cream of carrot soup. It's a different way to include the vegetables!

Re: Another question - Lorraine - 11-29-2007

If you want to "fancy up" green beans....I helped Jean and another Chef do these at a fundraiser. Blanch green beans until crisp tender. Shock in cold water bath, and drain. Take 5 beans, cut the ends off at an angle. Cut a piece of prosciutto in half lenghtwise, and wrap around the beans to make a bundle. The beans can be trayed, covered and refridgerated until ready to use. I place in oven with whatever else is cooking (usually 350 - 375) until heated through. They look great, and taste even better!!!

Re: Another question - cjs - 11-29-2007

forgot about that one!! yum. there is even a picture floating around with the 6' giant & a 5'2" broad with a little 4'thing between us!! I always feel so tall around Lorraine!

off topic, sorry - back to the veggies!!!

Re: Another question - smschwag - 11-29-2007

That sounds like a good idea to prep and freeze then "oven fry" them at serving time.
Thanks everyone for all the great veggie recipes. Now I just have to decide which ones to make.

I knew I could count on you all for help.

Re: Another question - bjcotton - 11-29-2007

I believe this is one of the pictures I took Jean and I also believe he is a little taller than 6', say 6'4".

[Image: Colorado08-05036.jpg]

That's the little redheaded munchkin in the middle

Re: Another question - cjs - 11-29-2007

HEY! I'm a redhead too - a real one....