Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? (/showthread.php?tid=42821)

What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - cjs - 11-16-2007

We're not going to be around for Thanksgiving, but turkeys are so cheap right now, how can you not buy one? Picked up a 22# one earlier this week. 22# for Roy and me...

But, I butchered that sucker up and now I have MORE IN THE FREEZER!!! I made turkey stock from the scraps and carcass yesterday and today, I'm roasting one of the leg quarters with a little leftover dressing from last weekend and Roy is just dying for a baked potato with the Southwester Cranberry salsa, so won't have mashed tonite.

My kitchen is going to smell good again today! What are you all up to?

Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - Roxanne 21 - 11-16-2007

We had the slow roasted salmon dinner---first time I have made and was a bit disappointed---TOO SPICEY!!!!! I may do this again but cut the adobe sauce back about to 1/4 the said amount---my (our) mouth is still burning!!!! Nice recipe though. The pineapple rice cut the spiciness a bit but not enough.

I also did those nectarine/mozzarella/basil appys----nice but not great---won't do those again. I was able to purchase some really nice ripe nectarines yesterday and thought I would do this---nectarines, maybe all fruit, is coming into season here---juicy, sweet and awesome!!!

Just a quick review and MHO!!

Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - Lorraine - 11-16-2007

I haven't gone grocery shopping since I got back, so the cupboards are still bare.

Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - cjs - 11-16-2007

(look in the freezer....)

Re: What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - luvnit - 11-16-2007

Well I went to a meat market that's about 46 miles away (one way), but they really do have the best meat. They have the Porterhouse-Style Pork Chops that are just to-die-for!

Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with them yet. But we are having a rice dish [rice-a-roni] and a head of steamed cauliflower with them. Ooooo this is gonna be good!

If I think of it, I'll take a picture

ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! - MUSICMAKER - 11-16-2007

Quote:

I was able to purchase some really nice ripe nectarines yesterday and thought I would do this---nectarines, maybe all fruit, is coming into season here---juicy, sweet and awesome!!!

Roxanne, the other day at the market I purchased some beautiful oranges, about the size of a softball. Perfectly round orange globes. I always wash fruit before eating or even peeling it and as I was washing one of the oranges there was a bright green sticker on it, proudly tooting it was from "South Africa"! The oranges are called "Midnight Orange". I wasn't aware oranges grew in S. Africa (meaning, not having the climate)! Anyway, they made me think of you!!!

Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! - Roxanne 21 - 11-17-2007

Oh my, Linda!!!! You have no clue as to what we grow here---EVERYTHING!!!!!! Problem is---all the good stuff is exported to you guys and we have the leftovers-- If we want to purchase really great quality first class fruits and veggies, we have to buy the imports from Israel and Kenya....good products but WAY EXPENSIVE!!!! Anyway--the produce here is becoming more available to the average citizen and has been pretty good lately---Smile

When I was visiting my Mom last March, we went shopping for some goodies to fill the fridge etc---what did I see??? YUP----awesome fruits from South Africa---quality beyond anything that I had ever seen here---Sad There has been an increase on export tariffs here---which means we can get some of the better stuff for the time being---YIPPEE!!!! Nice plums, pears, avos, oranges, lemons, asparagus, cabbage, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, too many to mention!!!--yummmmmmm!!!!!! I wish there was a way we could prolong the season to year 'round!!! Needless to say....we are enjoying our crops!!!

The climate here is ideal for almost any product---we have some of the BEST vineyards in the world---first class wines -- I believe that they are becoming readily available in the States---also OLIVE OILS!!!! World class!!

The climate is very similar to southern/northern California (combo). Pretty nice to live in--if one is by the ocean--Smile Inland can be extremely warm during the summer--upwards of 110 degrees and humid. We are having a pretty strange spring/summer this year--lots of rain and wind--which is unusual after September--no complaining about the rain though---helping to keep the gardens green.

Did I mention---fresh corn on the cob year 'round!!! Picked up some okra yesterday--thinking about a jambalaya in the next couple of days!!!

Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! - esgunn - 11-17-2007

That's funny. I don't think I have seen fruits or vegies from South Africa in the stores around here. Although I don't always pay attention. I wonder if it is because you all were on the eastern half of the US.

Most of our imported fruits and vegis - especially in the winter come from Mexico, Chili/and other South American countries, and Australia.

It is the same way with apples - most of the apples from Washington are exported to other states and countries. I sure have been enjoying the Honey Crisp apples, but they are almost gone - very short season.

I have started seeing more wines from South Africa though. I don't think I have tasted any yet though.

Re: ROXANNE ! !! ! ! ! - bjcotton - 11-17-2007

We went to a new "Whole Foods" type store called New Seasons Market today. Brought home some Seasonal Herb and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts, some [get this Jean] 5 year old Holland Gouda cheese ($16.99 per pound) to nibble on, yams and a green salad for supper. They had a Cranberry Balsamic Tiramisu that was absolutely to die for; a really good Cauliflower Au Gratin; a Cranberry Per Spice Cake that very tasty; and a Green Beans with Mushroom Madiera Sauce(for which I have the recipes )

What's for Dinner - T.G.I.F.? - cjs - 11-18-2007

"The climate here is ideal for almost any product---we have some of the BEST vineyards in the world---first class wines -- I believe that they are becoming readily available in the States---also OLIVE OILS!!!! World class!!"

We've had some great wines from Africa! Will look for the olive oil, don't think I've come across those yet.

"Cranberry Balsamic Tiramisu" - oh my, that got the old taste buds drooling.... did you get that recipe?

Haven't heard of that store - New Seasons Market, (you're in Portland, right?) Is it an independent? will have to google it.