Cuisine at home Forums
Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? (/showthread.php?tid=36633)

Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - pjcooks - 08-07-2007

Son #2 wants to make crab rangoons with me tomorrow. We'll also be making Jean's Spicy Noodle Salad w/ peanut sauce (which is really really good, thank you m'am!)

He wants to try this w/real crab for a change, he's branching out. Any thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time!

PJ

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - bjcotton - 08-07-2007

I haven't tried either one of these, but here they are:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crab Rangoon by Martin Yan

Recipe By :Martin Yan
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Pkg. cream cheese -- (8 Oz.) softened
2 green onions -- minced
1 T. fresh mint -- finely chopped
2 tsps ginger -- minced
1 Tbsp oyster-flavored sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 lb crabmeat -- cooked (or imitation
40 wonton wrappers
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Sweet-and-Sour sauce and/or dipping sauces

Filling: combine the cream cheese, gr. onions, mint, ginger, oyster-flavored sauce, sesame oil, and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the crabmeat.

To make each puff: place a rounded teaspoon of filling in the center of a wonton wrapper.

Brush the edges of the wrapper with water, fold the wrapper over the filling to form a triangle, and press the edges to seal.

Pour oil to a depth of 2" into a 2-qt. saucepan and heat to 350 F. on a deep-frying thermometer.

Working in batches, add the puffs and deep-fry, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 1 minute.

Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Serve warm with sweet & sour sauce for dipping.

Yield: 40 pieces

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=17774&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : This next recipe is sooooooo bad for us, but it's so good and it's really fun to make. The recipe is incredibly long, as written, but it's mostly rhetoric, the instructions are very easy and it's really fast, after the 30 min. wait for the dough initialy. I also made a half recipe of this and made 3 cakes - froze two of them. Again, these are so bad, but what the heck splurge once in a while. These are really good with a soup.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crab Rangoon Pot Stickers w/Hot Mustard Sauce

Recipe By :Emeril LaGasse
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 ounces bacon -- chopped
1/4 cup minced yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
6 ounces crawfish tails or shrimp
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
4 ounces goat or other cheese -- softened
2 teaspoons soy or oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
2 ounces Monterey jack cheese -- grated
1 pound lump crabmeat -- picked clean
1 package egg roll wrappers
water
vegetable oil
Essence -- for dusting
HOT MUSTARD SAUCE
1/4 cup Chinese mustard powder
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 large lime -- juiced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon grated ginger root
3/4 cup peanut oil

1. In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and crispy. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the crawfish (or shrimp), stir, and remove from the heat.
2. In a bowl, combine the cooked onion mixture, cream cheese, goat cheese, soy/oyster sauce, hot sauce, green onions, and cilantro, and blend together. Add the Monterey Jack and mix well. Fold in the crab meat, being careful not to break up the lumps. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
3. Working one at a time, place the egg roll wrappers on a work surface. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of the wonton and wet the edges. Fold over the sides to form a triangle and press to seal the edges. Set on a baking sheet and cover with a lightly damp cloth to prevent from drying out while assembling the remaining ingredients.
4. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the crab rangoons and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Once the rangoons are well browned, add a little water and cover. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Serve with hot dipping sauce.
HOT MUSTARD SAUCE: Whisk together mustard, vinegar, water, sesame oil, lime juice, honey, and ginger. While whisking, drizzle in the peanut oil. This may be made in a blender or food processor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - esgunn - 08-07-2007

PJ, I haven't tried them (can't eat crab) but C@H has a rangoon. Issue 51 June 2005 Crab Rangoon with Pineapple -Chile Dipping Sauce.

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - Mare749 - 08-07-2007

Billy, those recipes both sound good. I've never made either one of those dishes, but have used Martin Yan's recipes successfully. Thanks for posting.

Maryann

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - pjcooks - 08-07-2007

Thank you, both, Billy and Erin. Emeril's is decadent, isn't it? Erin, I didn't realize CaH had done this, now I know and can go look.

Thanks for posting, I appreciate it. I'll have fun cookin' with the kids tomorrow!

PJ

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - cjs - 08-07-2007

love crab rangoon!!! these recipes look interesting.

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - pjcooks - 08-08-2007

This is the kids' Asian dinner tonite. They decided to go with Martin Yan's recipe for the rangoons. They subbed water chestnuts for the radishes in the spicy noodle salad and used chives instead of green onions (that would mean another trip to the store).

All in all, they had fun, and it was pretty good. Jere plated and took this picture.

[Image: DSCN0503.jpg]

It's fun cooking with your kids! And beige can be good sometimes

PJ

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - esgunn - 08-08-2007

PJ. It looks great and it looks like the did a fantastic job. Remind me how old are your kids, Grown or mostly grown? It is so nice to give them a joy of cooking. It will always be with them. Even if they leave it for a while and come back to it.

I am notorious for beige/yellow dinners! Rice, chicken, corn! All yellow and white. Oh well. It sure tasts good!

I was marveling tonight to my mother in law - how my kids were BEGGING for bites of a caprese salad. I had made up a little plate with a yellow heirloom I picked up, fresh mozzarella, basil and a drizzle of olive oil and white balsamic. I brought it down to the lake while thier grandfather was fishing with them for a little snack before dinner - the adults got one bite - they ate the rest! How many 5 year olds do you know that eat like that. (Probably lots - but it still just amazes me on their varied tastes!)Sorry to ramble on and on.

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - Harborwitch - 08-08-2007

WOW!!!!! That is beautiful! Talk about some talented kids!

I haven't had crab rangoon in sooooo long. We used to have it alot - when the fishermen were giving us so much crab that we were feeding the cat crab!

Re: Does anyone have a good crab rangoon recipe? - Roxanne 21 - 08-09-2007

You should be very happy that they eat that well---but of course they would, Mom pays special attention and offers them the GOOD STUFF!! Good on ya, girl!!!

Beats mac 'n' cheese, hot dogs etc. I think my guys were about 18 before they would even look at a tomato--more for me!!!