Cuisine at home Forums
Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? (/showthread.php?tid=35120)

Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - bjcotton - 06-25-2007

Here are a couple of pictures of what we had for supper tonight: Turkey Cutlets with Savory Orzo

[Image: TurkeyCutlets-4.jpg]

[Image: TurkeyCutlets-3-1.jpg]

For the cutlets we mixed about 1 cup of unbleached flour, 1 1/2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tsp lemon zest and 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning. Then when it was done we sprinkled the top with more Parmesan and put it under the broiler until melted.

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - Mare749 - 06-25-2007

Looks yummy! Sounds like you are managing the low salt menus very well. How is Fredia doing? This has to be quite an adjustment for her too. I know it sure would be for me if all the sudden my doc said no more salt! That's why we're working on lowering our salt intake now, before we have to.

One of my daughters uses no salt at all and doesn't understand how we can use it like we do and be able to "taste" our food. Well, we stopped using it at the table, and were quite amazed that she was absolutely right!
Now, certain things are starting to taste way too salty, and it's only been a few months since we started doing this. I'm sure it's much more of an adjustment to have to go "cold turkey" though. I certainly hope that Fredia is feeling better.

Maryann

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - bjcotton - 06-25-2007

She is doing pretty good. She can walk now and there's somebody home. We have to keep her below 2000mg of sodium and we've managed that all except one day and she had 2059. Of course we don't have anything that tells us exactly how much sodium there is in things like raw turkey that we floured and fried in olive oil, so we guestimate. Still I think we're doing pretty good.

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - esgunn - 06-25-2007

Billy - you are doing a fantastic job! And not only are you doing that, but you are keeping the food interesting and full of other flavors. That alone is a great thing to do for her. We all still need enjoyment in our lives and particullarly at times of illness. Often food and family is the enjoyment and comfort. I am glad she is doing better. Will continue to keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

The dinner looked great by the way. Well done.

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - cjs - 06-26-2007

Billy, there are 72mg of sodium in 4 oz. of turkey (light meat).

Did I miss the fresh veggies or fruit on that plate???? I'll have to go look again....

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - bjcotton - 06-26-2007

No you didn't miss them Jean. We had pigged out on steamed fresh veggies for two days and just didn't want any more. We had carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, and brussels sprouts. I've got butternut, zucchini, yellow crookneck and acorn squash tonight with potroast [onions, carrots, potatoes]. We're going do add some green onions, parsley, etc. to the left over orzo.

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - Half_Baked - 06-26-2007

BJ, here is a site that has a chart to print out for the frig: http://www.chfpatients.com/rec/sodium.htm

Re: Hey Grampa, What's For Supper? - bjcotton - 06-26-2007

Thanks Jan. I've been searching for something to use until my booklet gets here. That'll help a lot.