Cuisine at home Forums
Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins (/showthread.php?tid=34544)

Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - cjs - 06-16-2007

This is a great little side dish - especially served with a spicy piece of meat. I don't think the oven temp is right on this, I'd cook at at least 350F next time and I did kick it up to 375F for the last 15 minutes. The Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri was not anything to write home about, so won't post it. But, these gratins are certainly repeats!

Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins

1 (2-pound) butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups finely chopped leek (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375°.
Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 30 minutes. Scoop out pulp, and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add leek; cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Reduce heat to medium-low; uncover and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add squash and leek; stir until well combined. Divide the squash mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Cover pan with foil; bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and place the ramekins on a baking sheet.

Sprinkle 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese over each ramekin.

Preheat broiler.

Broil gratins for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 gratin)

CALORIES 186 (31% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 2.6g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 8.6g; CHOLESTEROL 181mg; CALCIUM 170mg; SODIUM 437mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 2.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.9g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004
----

Since it made 6 servings, I can play with leftovers - will see how they heat up and also I'm going to freeze two of them.

Ran out of time for the Corn & Crab soup - will probably do it today.....

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - bjcotton - 06-16-2007

Now that sounds tasty...hmmmmmmm, no butternut around here yet.

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - MUSICMAKER - 06-16-2007

Sounds very yummy! We love butternut squash. Any that you find around here are from last years crop -- and they taste like it, too!

Picked up a recipe card last week at the market. Every now and then this particular store will place recipe cards out by whatever fruit or veggie they must get an abundance of, obviously with the hopes of upping sales. Anyway, this was for a butternut squash soup that can be served hot or cold. Made it with frozen squash and was it great! We had it both ways and couldn't decide which we preferred best. It has carrots, fresh ginger, anise, and a few other good things. Went to grab the recipe card to pass the recipe along but my son put the recipe box on the top of the cupboard and I can't reach it! Will post it later today!

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - cjs - 06-17-2007

I used a bain-marie to heat two of them last night - worked great, I'd recommend heating them this way.

Billy, I thot of you when we were having this - thot it might be something Fredia would like. Great side dish.

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - Roxanne 21 - 06-17-2007

Now this I will try as well--we have butternut squash here just about year round so I see it on this week's menu--maybe with some blackened/cajun chicken breasts--the spirit will move me when time comes. Was this a [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe, Jean?

The flank steak with chimichurri---I made that particular recipe from the [Email]C@H[/Email] repertoire---did not care for it either, but nice to make, once only!!

Would love that soup recipe, MUSICMAKER!!!! PRETTY PLEASE????

OKAY< OKAY< OKAY!!!! Just went back and saw Cooking Light--I really do have to get my act together!!!!

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - cjs - 06-17-2007

Hello? Hello? earth to Roxanne.... no, it was a Weight Watcher recipe - the gratin was C.L. tho.

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - Roxanne 21 - 06-17-2007

and it's only the middle of the afternoon-----no one or nothing to blame---maybe I should forget about posting during the middle of the day---I need to be almost asleep---

Re: Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins - cjs - 06-22-2007

As I mentioned above, I froze two of these little goodies to see how it would work. I took them out of the freezer Wednesday morning to have that nite, but we ended up going out - movie & kind of dinner, we were good and only had an appetizer!! - so they were completely thawed out by Thursday dinner. They heated great in a 350 F. oven. Even tho there was a little liquid in the bottom of the gratin dish, it did not affect the flavor nor the texture/consistency.

This is going to be a nice side to have all made up and in the freezer for last minute!! And...only 3 points!