Cuisine at home Forums
June 18 menu review WARNING! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: June 18 menu review WARNING! (/showthread.php?tid=34446)

June 18 menu review WARNING! - jenni - 06-14-2007

I made the red-cooked chicken today. The chicken itself is very flavorful, but the sauce, once it is cooked down according to the directions, is unbearably salty. Perhaps I cooked it down too long, but the directions say to cook it until syrupy, which is what I did. It took about 15 minutes, though, and not 3-5 minutes. If you're going to make it, perhaps taste your sauce before cooking it down....

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - pjcooks - 06-14-2007

Thank you, Jenni, I've had the same experience w/other recipes, and I've decided it's not cheating to warn others of things like this. None of us want to waste good food and valuable time, when a small fix can save a dish for us all.

Thank you!

PJ

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - bjcotton - 06-14-2007

Amen to that! Thanks Jenni.

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - Half_Baked - 06-14-2007

Jenni, I agree. I had the exact same problem.

I would add squirts of the soy sauce to the pan after adding the other ingredients and taste it all along. The whole bottle was overwhelming.

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - farnfam - 06-14-2007

Same here made it for supper tonite and hadn't seen the warning, very disappointing. However, we can still review the Sushi Salad on the 18
Cis

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - Mare749 - 06-14-2007

Thanks Jenni. I've had that problem a few other times, and it just kind of ruins the whole dish because you can't really do anything about it. I'm glad you warned us, because I was thinking of making this tomorrow.

Maryann

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - DFen911 - 06-16-2007

What are the ingredients in the sauce? I missed this thread.

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - Half_Baked - 06-16-2007

Here ya go!

OK, I only have one lone issue of C@H that hasn't been packed and stored at our new house, so my choices were limited. :-) I decided to keep things relatively quick and easy, since it's summer and we're all doing lots of other fun things!

Menu:

Red-cooked Chicken (Feb. 2007)
Sushi-Roll Rice Salad (Feb. 2007)
Mandarin orange sections
Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches (from Eating Well, April 2007)

Red-cooked Chicken
1 bottle low-sodium soy sauce (10 oz.)
1/3 c. dry sherry
1/2 c. scallions, chopped
3 T. brown sugar
2 slices fresh ginger
2 star anise pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
4 chicken hindquarters, skin removed
sliced scallions

Bring first 8 ingredients to a boil in a large saute pan over high heat.
Add chicken, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 30 mins., then turn chicken over; cover and cook an additional 10 mins. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
Boil braising liquid, uncovered, until syrupy, 3-5 mins. Strain sauce through a sieve into a bowl and spoon off any fat that rises. Brush sauce onto chicken to coat.
Garnish with scallions and serve with extra dipping sauce.

Sushi-Roll Rice

3 T. rice vinegar
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. sugar
1 t. wasabi paste
4 c. hot cooked white rice
3/4 c. carrot, julienned
3/4 c. cucumber, halved, seeded, and sliced into half-moons
3/4 c. edamame, shelled, thawed
1/4 c. scallions, sliced
salt to taste
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted

Whisk first 4 ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
Toss rice, carrot, cucumber, edamame, scallions, and vinegar mixture together in a large bowl. Season with salt.
Garnish with sesame seeds.

Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches

Vanilla wafers
Raspberry sorbet

Top a vanilla wafer with 1 T. sorbet. Top with another vanilla wafer to make mini sandwiches. Freeze for at least 30 minutes to firm up.

I happen to have vanilla wafers and raspberry sorbet on hand, but I also have chocolate graham crackers and coffee ice cream, so I intend to make some variations on this idea. What other creative ideas can we come up with??

--------------------
-jenni

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - DFen911 - 06-16-2007

To fix the sauce issue is pretty easy. Either remove 1/3 of the remaining liquid and add chicken stock (not broth you find in cans) or add an addition 1/3 stock to the remaining liquid.

Low sodium soy sauce still have a lot of sodium. When you reduce it even that low amount of sodium becomes concentrated, up to 5 times depending on reduction.

Over all the menu sounds really good

Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! - cjs - 06-17-2007

All I can say is reducing the sauce 3-5 min. does not significantly concentrate the salt in the soy, just makes it a tad syrupy - we had no problem with the saltiness and we use salt very sparingly.