Cuisine at home Forums
REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks (/showthread.php?tid=33148)

REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - HomeCulinarian - 05-24-2007

We made the Korean-style Tuna Steaks with the Spinach Noodles on the side as recommended from C&H Weeknight Grilling last night. Tuna steaks were on special this week . We are fortunate to have several specialty grocers in town because of the large international population at the University, so I was able to get some frozen udon noodles.

This dish is spicy. My husband loved it all! He always likes firey food. I thought it was good, but thought the marinade/dipping sauce was over the top. It calls for 2 T of Asian sesame oil (aka toasted sesame oil). I think that was the ingredient that was overpowering flavor of the sauce. When I make it again, I will cut that back and try half sesame oil and half toasted sesame oil.

The Spinach Noodles were REALLY good. It was easy to make and had a great flavor. For the chili garlic sauce, I used what we call Rooster Sauce, because it has a rooster on the bottle. It is a nice hot sauce.

This receipe was also relatively low-cal. The steaks are 455 calroies, 35% from fat, and the noodles were 92 calories per 1/2 cup 31% from fat.

So, I recommend trying this recipe if you like Asian flavors.

Re: REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - Mare749 - 05-24-2007

Thank you for the review and the tip about the sesame oil. I use sesame oil all the time and have found it necessary to use it sparingly because it will quickly become the dominant flavor in a dish, so I taste as I go. Guess I'm going to have to order that grilling book, it sounds like they have some good recipes.

Maryann

Re: REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - cjs - 05-24-2007

"Guess I'm going to have to order that grilling book," - me too, Maryann...this does sound good.

Re: REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - HomeCulinarian - 05-24-2007

I should have followed my instincts when making the marinade and backed off the toasted sesame oil. In past experience, recipes call for very small amounts of toasted sesame oil -- it has a very strong flavor. Trying the recipe for the first time, I followed the directions because we have usually really liked most all the C@H recipes we try ... Besides, my husband said he thought we should make it again without changing anything!

Re: REVIEW - Korean-style Tuna Steaks - cjs - 05-24-2007

"Trying the recipe for the first time, I followed the directions because we have usually really liked most all the C@H recipes we try"

I agree with you and also, it just shows respect to the recipe writer!