Cuisine at home Forums
New book for me too! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: New book for me too! (/showthread.php?tid=28222)

New book for me too! - Mare749 - 01-27-2007

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. I got this at the library. It was recommended to me by an experienced baker on another forum along with a couple of other books. This one is the best and fun to read as well.
This bread baking has really gotten ahold of me lately. I'm as surprised as anyone, as I've never liked the precision of baking very much.

For anyone who is still interested in getting a bread machine to use for the dough cycle, I saw a Sunbeam bread machine at Walmart yesterday for under $40, although my dad sees them at the Goodwill store pretty cheap too.

Maryann

Re: New book for me too! - bjcotton - 01-27-2007

Making bread is, to me, annoying because [probably] I don't know anything about it. Don't know if it's the right consistency, how it's supposed to feel, yadda, yadda, yadda! I would feel much better if there were an experienced baker around I could work with. For that matter, any kind of dough just floors me!

Re: New book for me too! - Ron - 01-27-2007

Quote:

Making bread is, to me, annoying because [probably] I don't know anything about it. Don't know if it's the right consistency, how it's supposed to feel, yadda, yadda, yadda! I would feel much better if there were an experienced baker around I could work with. For that matter, any kind of dough just floors me!

I do reasonably okay on cooking and can bake cookies, cakes, brownies, etc., but bread has always been a problem for me. Couldn't make it from scratch. Couldn't make it with a bread machine. Now I defrost a frozen Rhodes and pop it in the oven.

Re: New book for me too! - Mare749 - 01-27-2007

This is a new hobby for me. I've been cooking for at least 40 years and never could get the hang of baking bread like my mom did. So, I'm just now learning and for some reason finding it really fascinating. And the book I mentioned really is super.

Ron, you really should try the 18 hour No-Knead Bread recipe. It's so easy and really good!

Maryann

Re: New book for me too! - cjs - 01-28-2007

That 18 Hour bread, altho very tastey and easy, is absolutely wonderful because of the confidence it is giving folks to delve further into bread making. That's great.

I don't have the book you mentioned, Maryann, but I do have 'The Bread Bible' - Rose Levy Beranbaum, which is quite the book also.

Re: New book for me too! - Mare749 - 01-28-2007

Thanks Jean, I'll look into that one too.

Maryann