Cuisine at home Forums
Empanada review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Empanada review (/showthread.php?tid=26983)

Empanada review - lxxf - 12-30-2006

I tried this tonight. I'm not much of a dough person but it seemed easy enough. I should have rolled the dough thinner, but that's not the recipe's fault. It made ALOT of filling. I have enough for another round. I made a few substitutions, since I don't like fennel, I omitted it and I don't care for the consistancy of hominy so I used canned corn. I had some chopped black olives on hand so I used that instead of the green ones. It was very tasty. The filling was a little dry and I baked it for 30 minutes. It was very tasty. I also used half the cayenne and used dark chocolate bits. I also added 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs since many empanadas I've had have that in them.

It took me 45 minutes longer than the 90 minutes predicted. I know I'm slower than most cooks, but 50% longer seems alot even for me. We're going to have more, I also think these would make dynomite hors d'ouevres.

Re: Empanada review - Half_Baked - 12-30-2006

Empanadas are one of my favorite foods and I make them in crazy ways. Each time is different. I wouldn't put homily in mine either, nor would I add eggs since they aren't my favorite.

I will give this recipe a try, though. My favorite empanada is sooo simple...just hamburger, TONS of black pepper, minced garlic, chopped onion and lots of green olives. I could eat them every day. Also, I've cheated and used crescent rolls rolled out and divided into 4 pieces, then filled and baked.

Re: Empanada review - bjcotton - 12-31-2006

Jan, that's not cheating, it's being inventive. I've never made empanadas, always wanted to, but I've always been a scairdy cat about dough.

Re: Empanada review - Mare749 - 12-31-2006

Me too! I think the crescent dough is a great idea!

Re: Empanada review - Half_Baked - 12-31-2006

I'm such a picky eater that I make these when I'm driving. I'm not big on fast food and these little babies are just perfect.

The crescent rolls make them doable w/i an hour.

Re: Empanada review - Roxanne 21 - 12-31-2006

Which issue is this recipe in??? Tell me it's the new one---

Re: Empanada review - cjs - 12-31-2006

yes, in the new issue, Roxanne - I tried to post it for you, but evidently the crew is enjoying the holidays - the recipe isn't in the system as yet. If no one else does, I'll grab the mag. and scan later this a.m. for you.

Billy - lxxf - 12-31-2006

I avoid most things with dough too, but I finally thought that I should give it a go. I couldn't find my rolling pin so I used a wine bottle. I love the crescent roll dough idea since I have two cans of them in the fridge which I didn't serve at Christmas because both ovens were in use.

Re: Billy - cjs - 12-31-2006

Here's something else you can do with those 2 cans of dough - Monkey bread - one of our family's favorites!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

MONKEY BREAD

2 pkgs Butterflake Rolls -- (8 oz.) separated
1/4 lb butter
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tsps fresh parsley -- minced
1 tsp chives -- minced
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp dry oregano

8-9" bundt pan needed.
Preheat oven to 400°.

Melt butter & add herbs.
Butter bundt pan w/PLAIN butter.
Dip rolls in herb butter & arrange overlapped in pan.

Bake 20 min. or till golden brown.

ALTERNATIVE: Make 1 lb. bread dough; roll out to ~1/4" thickness.
Using a 1 1/2" -2" cutter, cut circles out of dough and proceed as above.

Re: Billy - bjcotton - 12-31-2006

That's already in my favorites section Jean. I made it for the last dinner I did for the Truck Farmers.