Cuisine at home Forums
Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=26956)

Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - kmberd - 12-30-2006

Hello Everyone. I am so excited to be apart of this forum. As many of you, cooking is my passion and I love C@H. Everytime a new issue arrives it is like Christmas.
I am in need of my first ss skillet. There are so many on the market and I am somewhat confused on all the different brands. Does more exspenive necessarily mean better performance? Thanks.

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - Roxanne 21 - 12-30-2006

WELCOME kmberd!!! You're in the right place for your questions to be answered---but not by me, I'm afraid

There was a thread a little while back on ss pans and it seemed that the more professional/advanced cooks were leaning toward the All Clad---certainly appears to be a superior product and will be the one I choose when I replace my present set. I have a ss set now but it is from the Dansk line---I'm not sure that even exists anymore. Has been my friend in the kitchen for over 25 years and still like new.

We bought our daughter a set of Cuisinart last year for a house warming gift and she absolutely LOVES it--there are great sales going on now--maybe you could get a great bargain. I might suggest that you go to your local kitchenware outlet and see if you can handle the products and judge from there?? GOOD LUCK on your choice---others will be along shortly---ones that know the American market better than I do.

Come visit again!!!

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - pjcooks - 12-30-2006

Welcome, Karen!

More expensive does not necessarily mean better. Of course, price is an indicator of quality, but that doesn't mean you need to shell out big bucks for a TOL ss skillet when a mid price one may work well for you. Is this something you'll use all the time? Is weight an issue for you? I'm happier with heavy pans.

I bought a $40 (heavy) ss skillet about 20 yrs ago from the now defunct Kitchen Etc. Although I don't use it as much these days as I used to, it's seen a lot of use and still looks brand new. I can't even tell you the brand, it may have been their own.

I think I recently read a review on this in one of my cooking mags. I'll go look and report back.

PJ

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - cjs - 12-30-2006

Welcome to the forums Karen!! I agree, you don't have to pay top dollar to get a good, dependable sst skillet. I'm sure everyone on here has their favorites - we have gotten our kids/grandchildren sets and pieces of Farberware and I also used Farberware for catering and schlepping around. It held up great.

Over the last few years I've been buying AllClad and have all the pieces I want (I think...), but it's so expensive and it's the last I'm planning on buying in my lifetime!!

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - pjcooks - 12-30-2006

Karen, I've been trying to link you to an article about this, but not having my ITs here (yes, my kids) I can't get it to work.

Anyways, here ya go (source-CI 5/2003)

Favorites are:

All-Clad 12" $125, 2#14oz and Viking 11" $140, 3#9oz

Best Buys:

Calphalon 12" Omelet $63.95 3#2oz & Farberware Milennium 12"covered skillet $69.99 3#11oz

Recommended with reservations were Emerilware $60, Cuisinart $100, Kitchenaid $119 and Le Creuset $86.

Hope this helps!

PJ

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - kmberd - 12-30-2006

thanks for the all the information. It really does help in my decision making. The more and more I research I am finding out that the All-Clad seems to stand out. Now I just have to decide on the 12 inch or 10 inch. Happy New Year!!!

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - Ron - 12-30-2006

Quote:

thanks for the all the information. It really does help in my decision making. The more and more I research I am finding out that the All-Clad seems to stand out. Now I just have to decide on the 12 inch or 10 inch. Happy New Year!!!

Karen, I have a 12" All-Clad and love it. I would recommend the 12" over the 10" because the 12" is the diameter across the top and the pan has sharply flaired sides - there is only 9" flat cooking surface in the 12". Unless you cook really small amounts, you might have crowding in the 10".

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - Half_Baked - 12-30-2006

Karen, I have a 12" All-Clad and love it. I would recommend the 12" over the 10" because the 12" is the diameter across the top and the pan has sharply flaired sides - there is only 9" flat cooking surface in the 12".

[/blockquote]

Wow, Ron, that's really good to know. I don't have any AC yet. My MIL wanted me to buy stainless steel, but I wanted everything to match ao I bought a set of Avocado Club Aluminum. At least those are gone but I sure wish I'd listened to her. I was in those crazy 20s.

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - kmberd - 12-30-2006

Thanks Ron. I would have never have known that until I were to use it for the first time. So with everyones help I have decided on the 12" All-Clad SS pan. This will be my first piece of my "dream" set of cookware. I am currently using the ns Pampered Chef cookware line that I am not happy with anymore. thanks!!!

Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? - cjs - 12-31-2006

You'll never be sorry Karen!! I have both sizes and must say I use the heck out of both!