Cuisine at home Forums
Thanksgiving - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thanksgiving (/showthread.php?tid=24668)

Thanksgiving - DFen911 - 11-07-2006

Well it's just around the corner. I'm curious is anyone not doing all their traditional favorites and going with a totally new menu?

I think everyone should add one new dish this year

My new dish will be baby turnips. Lordy I find them tasty

Re: Thanksgiving - cjs - 11-07-2006

hmmmmm, I have to get past our party next Saturday nite...one new dish, huh????? good idea.

(One year I did monkfish - after the kids were gone, of course... )

Re: Thanksgiving - Half_Baked - 11-07-2006

I'll make Thanksgiving when I get back from Maryland. Mr HB and his dad (who arrives next Wed) are going to visit his kids and grandkids in Alabama on Turkey Day.

I'll have to think of a special new dish. In PA, they served sauerkraut with the turkey. At first I thought it was nuts but darn, it was great.

Re: Thanksgiving - bjcotton - 11-07-2006

Geez Denise, I just left the Truck Farm and they had acres and acres of turnips.

I will probably be doing the standards this year or maybe not since no one has even mentioned it. We usually go to Portland to my sister Marilee's place. Never know here.

Re: Thanksgiving - foodfiend - 11-09-2006

I'm excited because this year, instead of just my MIL coming (not a fun time, for me), my parents are traveling to spend a few days and the holiday as well, and a couple of friends will be joining us too.

My menu is mostly new items, except for the roast turkey and gravy and my Gram's cranberry salad which is a gelatin-based salad packed with cranberries, oranges, apples, celery, and pecans.

Beverages:
Sparkling Cranberry & Apple Punch
Wine (to be provided by a wine-conniseur friend!)

Appetizers: Hot Crab Dip and breadsticks
Cheese & crackers
Eggplant & Red Pepper Tapenade (purchased) on Crostini

First course: Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Butter

Soup course: Butternut Squash Soup with a Roasted Red Pepper Swirl

Main Course & Sides:
Roast Turkey
Pan Gravy
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Chestnut, Onion, & Cornbread Stuffing
Apples, Walnuts, & Mixed Greens with Cranberry-Zinfandel Vinaigrette
Roast Lemon & Pepper Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan
Maple-Glazed Squash & Green Beans with Walnuts
Gram's Cranberry Salad
Cornmeal Cheese Twists

Desserts:
Pumpkin-Gingerbread Pie
Maple Walnut Cake
Chocolate Pecan Pie

DH alternates between saying "too much for just 8 people!" and "we can eat leftovers for days!"

I'm so excited. My Mom always makes Thanksgiving dinner, and it's usually between 15-20 people. My siblings have never once offered to host. So this year she will be waited on.

Denise, how do you prepare your turnips? My Dad loves turnips, and I might be able to add them into the menu as well.

Re: Thanksgiving - vannin - 11-09-2006

A mighty edible spread foodfiend. I am very happy that your Mum is coming this year, there comes a time when it is right to wait on them. Never too much food, just think how easy the subsequent meals will be, and how yummy.

Re: Thanksgiving - cjs - 11-10-2006

F.F. - can never have too much food, my opinion also!

"Cranberry-Zinfandel Vinaigrette" - this sounds so good, how about sharing the recipe for it?

May I suggest an addition to your cheese/cracker tray? Honeycombs and/or a chutney on cheese trays are all the rage now and they are such a great addition. Most supermarkets carry the honeycombs - all you do is put it on the tray, folks eat the honey and comb both with the cheese. Really yummy!

Good for you treating your mom!

Re: Thanksgiving - Bizzimomx2 - 11-10-2006

Wow, what a spread. I'll second the sharing the recipe for the Cranberry-Zinfendel Vinaigrette.

We are hosting this year and in our realm everyone brings a dish to share so we always have the tried and true and something new.

Happy Holidays to all

Re: Thanksgiving - bjcotton - 11-10-2006

I always make extra-extra-dressing for a leftover dish. When the only thing left is the turkey carcass to pick over, I mix those pieces in with the leftover dressing [if there is any] and then bake it as a casserole.

How about telling us about the Lemon-pepper brussels sprouts and parmesan...please. That sounds great.

Re: Thanksgiving - Roxanne 21 - 11-10-2006

What a great menu, foodfiend!!! How I miss the holiday with my family and friends---NEXT YEAR!!!!

Your Mom is going to really enjoy this day---sit back and reap the benefits of all of your efforts---then you will reap your own reward---go, girl!!!

A turnip puff might be a choice for your Dad. And the best part, it can be prepared ahead of time and popped into the oven last minute.

Enjoy your time!!! and the leftovers-