Cuisine at home Forums
Two Questions - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Two Questions (/showthread.php?tid=23919)

Two Questions - farnfam - 10-23-2006

Hi my good friends and trusted neighbors,
I have two burning questions that I know you will be able to answer for me.
Q1 What's in Pernod cream sauce? (a recipe would be mighty dandy too)
Q2 How do you pronounce that "mice en place" French word that means you set out all the ingredients first?
Eagerly and humbly awaiting your replies,
Cis

Re: Two Questions - bjcotton - 10-23-2006

I can answer question #2: This is from the Food Lover's Companion: MEEZ ahn plahs

Does that help?

Re: Two Questions - cjs - 10-24-2006

Q2 - Billy's correct in the pronunciation, but it is spelled 'mise en place'.

Q1 - Pernod is a licorice flavored liqueur that I've seen mostly used with shellfish - here's two examples of using it.

LINGUINE WITH CLAMS IN SPICY PERNOD SAUCE
"I got the inspiration for this recipe from a dish we made in a cooking class I took recently," says Tracy McGillis of San Francisco, California. "I added a few twists and came up with my own tasty version."
Watch how to clean and prepare fresh clams and how to make your own pasta.
Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 25 min

24 small hard-shelled clams such as littleneck or Manila, well scrubbed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Pernod
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
12 oz dried linguine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat a deep 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until a bead of water dropped on cooking surface evaporates immediately.
Add clams and fennel seeds, then cover skillet and cook, shaking skillet, until clam shells are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add oil and toss to coat clams.
Stir in scallions, garlic, and tomatoes, then sauté, stirring, until tomatoes begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine, water, Pernod, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Cover and steam clams, shaking skillet occasionally, until they open, 7 to 10 minutes. (Discard any unopened ones.)
While clams are steaming, cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.
Add linguine, butter, and parsley to clams and toss over low heat until pasta is coated with sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.
Gourmet

-------

MUSSELS WITH PERNOD AND CREAM
This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Start with a romaine salad tossed with Dijon vinaigrette, and pass rolls for dipping into the mussel broth. Lemon tarts from the bakery would be a nice finale.

1 1/3 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 1/4 cups dry white wine
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons Pernod or other anise liqueur
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Combine sliced leeks, dry white wine and red bell pepper in large pot. Add mussels. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer mussels to medium bowl (discard any mussels that do not open). Add whipping cream and Pernod to pot; boil until liquid is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Mix in chopped parsley. Return mussels and any accumulated juices to pot. Simmer until mussels are warmed through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Serve mussels with broth.

Serves 2; can be doubled
Bon Appétit
30-Minute Main Courses
May 1999

------

...and this one looks like one I'll give a try - think I'd use some juicy tomatoes instead of tomato sauce tho.

MUSSELS WITH TOMATOES, WINE, AND ANISE
Lewis Rossman of Half Moon Bay, California, writes: "I'm a chef, and Mediterranean is probably the best way to describe the kind of cooking I do at my restaurant, Cetrella. There's an emphasis on seafood, plus several dishes inspired by places I've visited like Provence and Catalonia. This is one of my favorite recipes from the menu. It also happens to be the thing I make at home all the time."

Serve with crusty bread to dip into the tomato-anise sauce.

click photo to enlarge
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
4 anchovy fillets, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
6 tablespoons anise-flavored liqueur (such as Pernod, pastis, or ouzo)
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add mussels, 2 tablespoons parsley, anchovies, and garlic, then liqueur; stir to blend. Boil 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and wine. Cover and cook until mussels open, about 6 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mussels and sauce among 4 shallow bowls. Drizzle mussels with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.

Makes 4 first-course servings.
Bon Appétit
December 2005
Lewis Rossman, Half Moon Bay, CA

----

sounds like you might have a bottle of Pernod in the back of your cupboard, cis!!

Re: Two Questions - Half_Baked - 10-24-2006

How do you pronounce Pernod?

Pernod or Per-no?

I say - Per-no, you say.....

Gisslen's book, Essentials of Professional Cooking, sounds out the French words which is so helpful. That's how I learned to pronounce phrases like mise en place.

Quote:

I say - Per-no, you say.....

I was sure it was per-no but wanted confirmation since I'll have to buy a bottle to make these seafood dishes of yours.

Oh shoot, I have ouzo so I'm fine, as long as I don't ask for orzo. rofl

Re: Two Questions - Lorraine - 10-24-2006

" Essentials of Professional Cooking"
Jan, how does he pronounce "en" I hate to disagree with the Food Lover's book, but we don't pronounce the "n".

Mise en place (meez-on-plahss) - Gisslen

So y'all say 'meez o plahss'?

I kind of slur over (that's a technical term) the 'en'

meez uuuun (kindof) plazz

"So y'all say 'meez o plahss'?"

Maybe way up there...not down here....that I've ever heard anyway...