Cuisine at home Forums
Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D (/showthread.php?tid=22233)

Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - bjcotton - 09-20-2006

Miss Jan bought her a Meyer lemon this year. It has a couple of nice lemons on it. I bought mine earlier, but it dropped all the babies I had on it. Today I want out and counted the blossoms and babies on it...there were 328. Jan doesn't have one blossom hee hee

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - cjs - 09-21-2006

Our Meyer is covered with lemons, buds and blossoms!!! I love the way it continues with all those stages at one time. So far, so good having it up here - the orange and lime are still doing good also. The only problem we had was you can't find citrus fertilizer up here - 'cause citrus doesn't grow so Kelly is sending us some.

I'm down to the last of my zest in the freezer from year before last's crop - last year was a real small one.

Poor Jan, Billy - you S.D.

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - Half_Baked - 09-21-2006

Folks, see what I have to deal with !!! Mr Cotton sent me an email to taunt me and I forwarded it to Mr HB to show him how my "friends" support me. <baer>

Well, I tell you what...although this year my tree only has 2 little hard green lemons on it, next year I'll probably have a stand in front of my house with a sign that says, "Free Meyer Lemons" because we'll be so over run with them. Tongue

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - DFen911 - 09-21-2006

Ok I have to ask about these lemons. What is their flavor like? I read they were from Chine and a cross between and true lemon and a mandarin orange.

I had no idea you could freeze zest. I thought it'd turn to mush. Do you do anything special to it to prepare for freezing?

Lol, I'll have to tell you next year, what they taste like!

If I were to freeze zest, I think I'd spread it out on a cookie sheet, freeze and then put it into a baggie.

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - Roxanne 21 - 09-21-2006

Lemon trees a-plenty here BUT no Meyer---how different can those be?? Also curious about freezing zest---the citrus here is very prolific--isn't it that way there (in the US)??
I seem to remember lemons, oranges etc available all the time---CRS???

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - vannin - 09-21-2006

I have three lemon trees here, all Meyers. What an person I am I do not have a Lisbon. They are much more sour. Wonderful for lemon honey and lemon meringue pies.

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - farnfam - 09-21-2006

I'm thinking about getting a dwarf type lime. To keep us supplied with limes for Margharitas etc. What do you all reccomend? It could only be outside for a very short season. Here in the Great White North we only have winter and two weeks of poor sledding, which are over now teehee I'm sure I shall have to buy a lemon tree as well, to keep it company.
Cis

I have Mr HB looking for a Kaffir Lime, now, but I think they won't be available until next spring.

CRS = Can't Remember *****

Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D - bjcotton - 09-21-2006

Freezing citrus zest is a piece of cake. I zest ALL the citrus I get [even Key Limes], put it in a small plastic container and stick it in the freezer. When I want some, I just reach in, pinch off however much I want and off I go.

I have to admit I don't know what a Meyer lemon tastes like. I've heard so much about them I had to have one. I buy all my citrus from www.fourwindsgrowers.com and they've never failed me yet. Any failure has been my fault.

I think Jan and my lil sis both planted their trees in smaller pots than I did. I used a 2 cu. ft. pot and I think my lil sis used about a 1 1/2 cu. ft. pot...hers has lemons on it too. I purchased a 1 lb bag of citrus fertilizer [24-14-14] from Four Winds Growers and I must admit it was expensive... $8.00 plus $7.00 shippping. It says to use 2 Tbs per gallon of water every 3 weeks or 1 Tbs per half-gallon every 10 days. I didn't know where else to buy citrus fertilizer...certianly not around here.