Cuisine at home Forums
Beet Freaks - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Beet Freaks (/showthread.php?tid=21230)

Beet Freaks - TwilightKitten - 08-12-2006

Billy, I just had to tell you that my kids are now beet freaks thanks to your pickled beets. I can't believe it. They were a little iffy on the whole beet thing the first time I made them...but they tried them and liked them just ok at first. I guess they acquired a taste for them because they inhale them every time I make them...then when the beets are gone (and it doesn't take long!), they beg me to make more. Just thought you'd like to know what you started over here...

Re: Beet Freaks - bjcotton - 08-12-2006

Tammy, I am delighted to hear that. When we made them, we made lots and lots and lots of them. I've still got a whole bunch in the pantry.

Say, would you like a recipe for a Beet Cake? It's from the same lady that created the White Pepper and Ginger Lemon cake recipe I posted some time ago.

Re: Beet Freaks - TwilightKitten - 08-12-2006

I would love that recipe....thank you! Oh, and you say you have a lot in the pantry? Did you pressure can them? Do you have to? Thanks again!

Re: Beet Freaks - bjcotton - 08-12-2006

We processed them in a water bath for 15 minutes, but you could pressure can them.

Re: Beet Freaks - Roxanne 21 - 08-12-2006

I remember my Grandmother pressure canning beets every year to store for our winter staples---they were the BEST!! MY, my--haven't thought about that in years. They were on the shelf beside the canned (pressured) corn and green beans. We also canned baby crab apples every year---what an awesome treat in winter!!

Re: Beet Freaks - Lorraine - 08-14-2006

I love pickled beets, and try to make them every year. Actually, I just love beets. I saw a recipe yesterday for a potato salad with pickled beets and eggs in it. If it turns out tasty, I'll post the recipe.