Cuisine at home Forums
Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! (/showthread.php?tid=20694)

Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - Bizymomma - 07-25-2006

Got my knife sharpener today (Many hugs to Billy!) It works great and I spent 20 minutes after opening the package, sharpening my knives. I'm kinda OCD like that. Once I get something new, I have to use it right away....
I got online and ordered one for my dad for christmas already!

Post deleted by sysadmin - - 07-25-2006

Re: Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - Bizymomma - 07-25-2006

Steve,
The sharpener that I bought was one that Billy suggested. The Edgemaker. $15. He's been using them for years and swears by them! It seems to work fantastic! Thanks for the warning tho!

Re: Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - cjs - 07-25-2006

". More people are hurt by using a dull knife than a sharp one. "

IMO, that ought to be posted on every kitchen wall in the world!!!

Re: Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - bjcotton - 07-25-2006

Steve is quite right about some knife sharpeners. One of my brothers uses one called Accusharp and he gave me one. I only used it twice before I noticed the shavings from my knife blade. He likes it, and that is fine, but I won't use it. It went in the "get rid of" box.

Angela, people don't want to get between me and my sharpener I bought a Betty Crocker Tungsten Super Sharp today for $2, a Koch Messer Stainless . Rostfrei . Inox knife for $2, a gallon pitcher for brine in for $.50 and one of those thingies that are in a stand, are cone shaped and have a wooden thingy you roll around to press the food through the holes...can't remember what it's called right now, for $5..all at our local second hand store. I didn't really pay for them, she had sold some stuff I left there on consignment works for me!

Re: Oooohhh Doggie!!! Sharp knives! - cjs - 07-26-2006

I really don't know why I'm weighing in here on this one, except to suggest that if you (collectively or the royal 'you'... ) could take the time to learn the method of sharpening your knives with a stone and keep the edge with a steel, imo, it's the best way.

I keep my steel with my knives and I probably use it every day - at least a couple of swishes as I'm getting ready to use them.

It takes a little practice, but it's certainly worth it.