Cuisine at home Forums
wild duck - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: wild duck (/showthread.php?tid=20180)

wild duck - vannin - 07-01-2006

A friend of ours called in on his way home from the Thames, shooting season, and gave us 6 (prepped) ducks. Now what to do? Anyone know what to do with wild ducks.

Re: wild duck - cjs - 07-02-2006

Here's one you might try - first thing I thot of was you'd probably want to lay bacon on for moisture as I do with other wild game. And yes, that is what is suggested. The sauce sounds really good. I just may have to play with this for other things also. As you can tell, I have not tried this, but it sure looks good!

Roast Wild Duck Recipe
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups apples, chopped
salt
1/4 lb bacon
1 duck

1. Wash and dry duck thoroughly.
2. Rub the insides with salt. Fill the cavity with chopped apples and raisins.
3. Cover the breasts with bacon slices.
4. Roast the duck in moderate 325 degrees oven for 20 minutes to the pound.
5. Duck can be seasoned more with salt and paprika if desired.

Hunter's Sauce for Wild Duck
1 cup red currant jelly
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish sauce
1 cup dry red wine
Combine ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer slowly until slightly thickened.

----
other flavors you might try - add to fruit stuffing/or replace with dried cranberries, or apricots.

And for leftovers, maybe a mushroom and wild duck risotto???? I wish your friend would stop by my house on his way home...

Re: wild duck - vannin - 07-02-2006

Thank you Jean, the recipes look great, and I will give it a whirl. But to be really honest I wish he had called in at your place with them too. I am not big on game. At least it isn't half a boar. ;Þ