Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection (/showthread.php?tid=19150)

Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - cjs - 05-26-2006

Here's my birthday Menu for this year!! My usual is a T-Bone Steak and fruit platter, but I was lucky to share this with one of my daughters for Mother's day instead, so I'm branching out this year. Have a great Memorial Day everyone!! I know I will - my son and d-i-l are here!!!!

STICKY RIBS W/CHINESE FLAVORS

2 racks meaty baby back pork ribs
Salt & freshly ground pepper, ground garlic, and a little Chinese 5-spice
Vege oil -- for greasing pan
2 tsp. coarsely chopped garlic
1/4 c red pepper jelly
3 T. hoisin sauce
2 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. red chili paste
1 T. oyster sauce
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. 5 spice powder

Preheat oven to 300°.
Season ribs generously. Put ribs on oiled sheet, bone-side down. Fill bottom of pan with water & cover ribs tightly w/foil. Put ribs in oven.

Bring remaining ingred. to simmer in small saucepan over med. heat. Stir to combine and set aside.

Bake ribs 2 1/2 hours or till ribs are tender when pierced w/a knife. If bottom of pan dries out during cooking, add more water. Discard foil & brush ribs w/sauce. Continue baking ribs for 30 min. longer.

(At this time I chilled and kept for service.)

Preheat the grill on med-high heat. Remove ribs from oven (or frig.) & brush both sides w/sauce. Grill 3-5 min. per side. basting occasionally w/sauce.

Transfer ribs to a board and let rest 5 min. Cut each rack into 2 sections and serve...with lots of napkins!!

FIRE-ROASTED CORN SALAD
Serving Size : 8

3 limes, juice of
2 tsps grd. cumin
1 tsp mild chili powder
6 fl ozs EVO, plus more for brushing
Coarse salt & freshly grd. pepper
6 ears corn, shucked
18 ozs cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ozs diced red onion
3/4 oz chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 - 1/3 lb. feta cheese, diced
2 tsps cumin seeds, toasted & lightly crushed

Whisk together the lime juice, grd. cumin, & chili powder. Stream in the EVO to make a vinaigrette. Season w/s&p.

Prepare grill to med-high heat. Brush a little EVO on each ear. Grill, turning the ears often so that they cook evenly, till lightly charred, ~10 min.

Cut kernels off cob. Put the kernels in a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, feta, & the vinaigrette & toss to coat.

Transfer salad to platter & sprinkle with the cumin seeds.
Serve at once. (Salad can be made early in the day ad top with cumin seeds at serving time.)

And for dessert, I think just a cheese platter, honeycomb and some grapes.

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - bjcotton - 05-26-2006

I just happen to have those two recipes...wonder where they came from.....

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - TwilightKitten - 05-26-2006

Mmmmm, nice selection! What issue is that from? I know I just saw it but I can't remember where.

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - Roxanne 21 - 05-26-2006

Looks like a Memorial Day winner for me----?? where did those recipes originate from??----I'm a little in the dark here---no pun intended!!

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - bjcotton - 05-26-2006

I think they originated in Jean's head...at least that's where I got them

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - cjs - 05-27-2006

I deviated just a tad this menu - my mother always said birthday girls had special privileges...

The salad is from an entertaining book Williams-Sonoma put out a few years ago, and the ribs???? Think they must have been a compliation of a few recipes. They are just sticky-wonderful.

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - Lorraine - 05-27-2006

Well, I fed them ribs this week, so can't do it again, but I WILL do the corn!!!

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - vannin - 05-28-2006

I was fed 'proper' ribs by Janis a few months ago. I do not know the recipe, so will use yours Jean. They were sticky, tho, and ever so yummy. I hadn't had them before then. We had only bought rib cages for the dogs, and they loved them, raw of course. But, you know, I always wondered why, when I had a nibble of the dogs food ribs. why are we not eating this ourselves. I liked it. The same with lamb shanks (or Veal). We gave the shank to the dogs. Although, I always nibbled on that too. It wasn't considered 'proper food', Heaven knows why, I don't. A bit like never buying gravy beef except for the cat. It makes the most 'full' broth, or stock, depending on how we see this contentious issue. Myself, I stick with Jean on this. As I do in discussion on things like 'mother' sauces, I believe she has the most reliable education to teach others. In any event, it works for me. And confirms my reading.

Re: Dinner Menu - May 30th - Special B'day Selection - cjs - 05-29-2006

Kind words, thank you Dale...it amazes me the local lore (if you will) of foods. I thot God made veal shanks for Osso Buco!!! (Please pardon the blasphame, just a little humor here) And ribs? Oh my, Dale, hurry and catch up with us on those goodies!!!