Cuisine at home Forums
Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 (/showthread.php?tid=18981)

Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Old Bay - 05-18-2006

This is one of the best articles/recipes Cuisine ever did. We are making it as I post, and freezing some of the bolognese for future use. It is in the Jan/Feb isssue of 2000, on page 15. Just giving the recipe does not do it justice--can anyone with that issue "image" the article and post it. Best sauce I ever ate.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Lorraine - 05-19-2006

I sure hope someone can!!!!

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Old Bay - 05-19-2006

Billy found a recipe on line in volume 43. I'm almost sure they repeated the one we got out of vol. 19. I'll check it when I get home, but the recipe looks identical. I don't think they repeated the illustrations--you can get by without them.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - bjcotton - 05-19-2006

Here's the recipe from Issue 43.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lasagna with Bolognese Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Ricotta Filling - Blend
2 15 oz containers whole milk ricotta cheese
Add
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Bolognese Sauce--Saute in
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup yellow onions -- diced
1 cup carrots -- diced
1/2 cup fennel -- diced
Add
2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
Stir In
3/4 pound ground chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
3 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning blend
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Add and Simmer
1 1/2 cups whole milk
Add and Simmer
1 cup dry red wine
Stir In and Simmer
4 pounds tomatoes -- quartered
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
Prepare; Assemble Lasagna with
2 bunches Swiss chard, stemmed, blanched, and dried
1 pound oven-ready lasagne sheets -- parboiled
1 recipe Ricotta filling
1 recipe Bolognese Sauce
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese -- shredded
2 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese -- grated

For the Ricotta Filling--Blend ricotta in a food processor until very smooth, about 2 minutes; scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients; blend 1 minute.

For the Bolognese Sauce--Sauté onion, carrots, celery, and fennel in oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, 10--15 minutes.

Add garlic; sauté another minute.

Stir in ground meats and seasonings; cook until meat is no longer pink, 8--10 minutes.

Add milk; simmer until liquid almost evaporates, 25--30 minutes.

Add wine and simmer until almost evaporated, about 20 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, paste, and seasonings; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until sauce is very thick, 3--4 hours. Stir often to prevent it from sticking or burning. Bring to room temperature before assembling lasagna.

To Assemble the Lasagna -

Prepare chard leaves, blanching in boiling water until wilted.

Parboil lasagna sheets just until pliable; transfer to foil-lined baking sheet that's been coated with nonstick spray. Store sheets in single layers separated by pieces of foil.

Set aside 3 cups Bolognese for serving, then spread 1/2 cup on bottom of pan, then layers of pasta and ricotta filling. Top with a layer of chard. Spread 3/4 cup Bolognese on the chard-it won't totally cover. Sprinkle with cheese; repeat layering, beginning with pasta. Spread remaining ricotta over the last layer of pasta and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake 40--45 minutes. Rest 15 minutes; cut, using the tip of a sharp, thin knife. Serve with some of the reserved sauce and more Parmesan cheese.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome"

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Lorraine - 05-19-2006

4 pounds tomatoes...ouch

Bill, did you use fresh, or can I substitute a good quality Italian canned?

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - vannin - 05-19-2006

I am not answering Lorraine, but perhaps good qual. canned can be even better than fresh sometimes. Depending on season of course.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - cjs - 05-20-2006

O.K., now I'm confused - the 8-layer lasagna I made out of issue 43 (for our dinner menu, the first one, wasn't it?)is the 'streamlined' version and it's different from what BillyJ posted as being from issue 43.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Roxanne 21 - 05-20-2006

Glad that I'm not the only one confused!!! I haven't had the time to go back and review the recipes but something didn't sound right. HMMMM---now I've gotta check.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - bjcotton - 05-20-2006

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lasagna, lasagna everywhere I just checked, the 8 layer is on page 24 and the with Bolognese is on page 25. They are definitely two different recipes with different ingredients.

Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 - Roxanne 21 - 05-20-2006

UHHH---Billy----the bolognese is in issue 19--with a couple of others that look really interesting and a must try!! Don't know how I missed those

The 8 layer was issue 43--our on line dinner party.

We forgive you--you didn't have access to the issues so that's about as good a reason as you can get!!!

It's a wonderful experience to go back and review passed over recipes---BTW the minestrone soup in that issue was REALLY good!!!