Cuisine at home Forums
grilled pizza - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: grilled pizza (/showthread.php?tid=18868)

grilled pizza - mojohann - 05-15-2006

I'm intrigued by the recent issue's grilled pizza recipe. I'm wondering if the dough can be frozen.

Re: grilled pizza - farnfam - 05-15-2006

Was that in the June 2006 issue? Cuz I've got a grilled pizza recipe in a back issue too. I don't have that issue yet, but most yeast doughs can be frozen so I bet it can. Jean will know or one of the other teachers.
BTW Welcome aboard! Hope to have you join one of our online dinner parties.
Cis

Re: grilled pizza - Lorraine - 05-16-2006

I'm no teacher, but I do freeze pizza dough. Thaw in fridge, then bring to room temp. I loooove grilled pizza!!!!

Re: grilled pizza - farnfam - 05-16-2006

There's a recipe in Issue 40 I believe. We tried it once but the crust seemed too thin and stiff. Not how we like it. I'd be willing to try it again with a different recipe tho'

Re: grilled pizza - cjs - 05-16-2006

I'm with Lorraine - with just the two of us, I always freeze at least 1/2 the dough and just grill two individuals. Once we tried grilled pizza we've never gone back, unless there is a blizzard outside and we just need our pizza fix...

I freeze different ways, if I'm in a hurry, I just make a disc and freeze like that; if I'm not, I usually push out (roll)to the size I want and freeze (thaws faster that way also).

Re: grilled pizza - bjcotton - 05-16-2006

I'm going to try homemade pizza again. I swore off making them when the dough stuck to the peel and everything else slid off onto the stone. I was just reading King Arthur Flour catalog and noticed they put a sheet of parchment under the dough. That way if the dough doesn't slide you can give it a little nudge. I've been wondering what to do with the stone since I don't often do bread.

Re: grilled pizza - TwilightKitten - 05-16-2006

Ugh, don't you hate it when that happens??? Last time we made pizza, my husband ended up pushing the pizza off the stone so that it fell down the back of the oven. Thank goodness it was the last pizza we made and was an extra. We'll definitely try that parchment trick next time!

Re: grilled pizza - bjcotton - 05-16-2006

Yeah, my stone was brand new and it was the first pizza I'd tried to make. The language flying out of the kitchen wasn't fit for even adult ears . It was spoken slow, distinctly and with much feeling.

Re: grilled pizza - cjs - 05-16-2006

Well, for what it's worth - I am not a pizza purist!! I've never used a wooden palette thingee, nor have I used a stone.

All I've ever done - if it's in the oven, I roll/push out the dough to the size I want (I don't normally make large pizzas) and pick it up carefully and lay on a baking screen. Top with the goodies I want and put in a 450 - 500 F. oven. I'm very careful how much I put on a pizza, it's so easy to over fill it.

If it's for the grill - it's even easier. I roll/push out the dough to the size, pick it up and put it on a pc. of oiled plastic wrap on a cutting board. When I'm ready to grill (all of my toppings are ready to go), I just lay one or two (whatever fits) on the grill (be sure to remove the plastic wrap!), grill covered for 4 min. (I have three burners on my grill and I set them to med/off/med) - raise the lid and remove the pizza - grilled side up and take into the kitchen and top with goodies.

Return to the grill for another ~6 minutes. That's it.

"We tried it once but the crust seemed too thin and stiff. " - Cynthia, it may be that what your recipe size calls for is just too large for the amount of dough you have. Have you tried just rolling it out to the thickness your family prefers?? Also, you might try topping the pizza dough with what you want but leave about an inch without topping and then 'scrunch up' (technical term ) the dough for a thicker out crust??????

Re: grilled pizza - farnfam - 05-16-2006

Thanks for the suggestion Jean. That too thin one was the C@H recipe in issue 40, but maybe I froze half and that was the mistake. I'm going to try again, pizza on the grill is too good of an idea to give up on.
For pizza in the oven, I've had more than a few disasters with trying to slip it off the peel(mine is metal with a wooden handle, a friend's husband got it at an auction and she had no use for it. I'm not so sure I really do anymore either). Now I use a Silpat, assemble it on that, carry to oven with the peel and tug it onto the stone silpat and all. The pizza comes out okay but not nearly what I'm looking for. Not like the pizza I grew up with in Brooklyn (did I mention I was raised there..... by wolves)